Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Warped rotors issue - NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:10 PM

Warped rotors issue - NEED HELP ASAP

Rotors warped again (2nd) time. Being told by the Service manager that there is only 2yr/24,000 mile coverage for barake components. And that if the rotors are turned I will be charged. Is this true?

Brake pads are at 3mm and they are recommending replacement. I have 32,620 on the car.

Need input please.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM

From what I've seen on this board alot have had the same issue. Mine did as well. If I remember correctly, dealership not too willing to correct the issue. I solved my rotor issue by purchasing a set of EBC rotors and new pads. Had em for about a year now and not even a mention of shake or vibration. It's not free but it fixes the problem and it is an easy install.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM

3MM is actually quite a bit of meat left on a set of pads. I changed mine out at 47K miles and only swapped them out then is since I was putting new rotors on. I didn't want to match up new rotors with old pads. Plus, I was already in there doing the work.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM

My dealer just machined my front rotors because at 30,000 miles the steering wheel was beginning to shake under moderate braking from highway speeds. He said it was covered under the 3/36 warranty as long as the rotors weren't damaged. Everything is smooth as new now.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Check the TSB's and if you find nothing, do the job yourself.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM

UPDATE

We went around for a while and they are not going to do anything about the rotors. Said they are past the 2/24 coverage. Might be BS. Seems to depend on the Service Managers attitude.

I decided to wait until the pads are worn down more and replace the rotors and pads at the same time with after market parts.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM

I put the EBC rotors on and got the shimmies back after 6000 miles. I'm wondering how the folks with the SS are doing with the Brembo's and larger rotors. I know a lot oh pissed off HHR owners with rotor problems, but I don't want to just get rid of the car. I'm thinking about the big brake conversion from one ofthe sponsors, but the 41400 price tag is a little steep.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by RkyMtnHHR
Rotors warped again (2nd) time. Being told by the Service manager that there is only 2yr/24,000 mile coverage for barake components. And that if the rotors are turned I will be charged. Is this true?

Brake pads are at 3mm and they are recommending replacement. I have 32,620 on the car.

Need input please.
He needs to read this bulletin. It's way to long to print but here is the warranty information part of it.

#00-05-22-002L: Disc Brake Warranty Service and Procedures - (Mar 26, 2009)

Subject: Disc Brake Warranty Service and Procedures

Models: 1999-2010 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2003-2010 HUMMER H2

2006-2010 HUMMER H3

1999-2004 Isuzu Light Duty Trucks (Canada Only)

2005-2009 Saab 9-7X (Canada Only)

1999-2010 Saturn Vehicles (Canada Only)

EXCLUDING 2009-2010 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

BRAKE WARRANTY
Brake Rotors:

• Brake rotor warranty is covered under the terms of the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Reference the vehicle's warranty guide for verification.

• Rotors should not be refinished or replaced during normal/routine pad replacement.

• Rotors should not be refinished or replaced and is ineffective in correcting brake squeal type noises and/or premature lining wear out.

• Rotors should not be refinished or replaced for cosmetic corrosion. Clean up of braking surfaces can be accomplished by 10-15 moderate stops from 56-64 km/h (35-40 mph) with cooling time between stops.

• Rotors should not be refinished or replaced for rotor discoloration/hard spots.

• Rotors should be refinished NOT replaced for Customer Pulsation concerns. This condition is a result of rotor thickness variation, usually caused by LRO (wear induced over time and miles) or corrosion (Lot Rot).

• When rotor refinishing, only remove the necessary amount of material from each side of the rotor and note that equal amounts of material do not have to be removed from both sides on any brake system using a floating caliper.

• Rotors should be refinished for severe scoring -- depth in excess of 1.5 mm (0.060 in).

Important: If the scoring depth is more than 1.5 mm (0.060 in) after the rotor is refinished, it should be replaced.

• It is not necessary to replace rotors in pairs. Rotors may be replaced individually. However, caution should be exercised, as a variance in surface finish may cause a brake pull condition.

• New rotors should not be refinished before installation. Original equipment rotor surfaces are ground to ensure smooth finish and parallelism between mounting and friction surfaces. If a new rotor has more than 0.050 mm (0.002 in) Lateral Run Out (LRO) when properly mounted on the hub, correct it using one of the following methods:

1. For hubless rotor designs, use the correction plate procedure found in the "GM Brake Service Procedure for Hubless Rotors" outlined in this bulletin.

2. For hubbed/trapped/captured rotor designs, refinish the rotor using an On-Car lathe and the procedure outlined in this bulletin.

• Never reuse rotors that measure under the Minimum Thickness specification. In this instance, the rotor should be replaced.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Does that mean 3/36? Because I looked at the warranty coverage page and it does not say anything specific about brakes. As Always thanks for the help.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Oh and can you put this in the Offical TSB sticky thread, I just checked and it is not in there.

#00-05-22-002L: Disc Brake Warranty Service and Procedures - (Mar 26, 2009)

Quick Reply: Warped rotors issue - NEED HELP ASAP