Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

help with check engin light and traction control

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:31 PM

Angry help with check engin light and traction control

My daughters 2006 HHR quit on the side of the road, hubby thought it was battery, went and got new one and the check engine light was still on and lights were dim so we knew it was probably alternator. So took it to the shop and they put a new one in. I know it was new because i bought it from parts store myself. So went to pick it up and the check engin light and traction control light was still on. They got them to go off, took it off the racks, she got in it cracked it and light still on. I had to end up leaving it with them again for the 4th night! I called and they said they are going to look into it someone but think it could be in the computer. The lights were not on before having problems with the alternator. Can someone give me some insight on what it may be or what they could do to find out what iti is. They put it on the cod thing and I guess that didnt work ! HELP!!!!!!!!!! .
Old 10-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Did they read the codes from the CEL?
Did they disconnect the battery when the changed the alternator?
Did they install the alt drive belt?
Stranger things have happened!
Did they load test the battery?
If they will give you the codes post them here for us to advise you.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

X2
Can't really give an opinion without the Check engine light code numbers.

OK. One thing that caught my eye in your post: " thought it was battery, went and got new one and the check engine light was still on and lights were dim"
A new battery and lights were dim sounds more like a ground wire problem.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 AM
Deceased

X3, sure does sound like a grounding issue.

And to the forum lilmoe.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:37 AM

Correction!

It is the battery light that stays in. I am getting the codes and will post soon

Originally Posted by lilmoe
My daughters 2006 HHR quit on the side of the road, hubby thought it was battery, went and got new one and the check engine light was still on and lights were dim so we knew it was probably alternator. So took it to the shop and they put a new one in. I know it was new because i bought it from parts store myself. So went to pick it up and the check engin light and traction control light was still on. They got them to go off, took it off the racks, she got in it cracked it and light still on. I had to end up leaving it with them again for the 4th night! I called and they said they are going to look into it someone but think it could be in the computer. The lights were not on before having problems with the alternator. Can someone give me some insight on what it may be or what they could do to find out what iti is. They put it on the cod thing and I guess that didnt work ! HELP!!!!!!!!!! .
Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 AM

The lights were not as dim once we got new battery

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
X2
Can't really give an opinion without the Check engine light code numbers.

OK. One thing that caught my eye in your post: " thought it was battery, went and got new one and the check engine light was still on and lights were dim"
A new battery and lights were dim sounds more like a ground wire problem.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Administrator

So to clarify ,
New battery
New alternator
Still the battery light is on?
Double check the ground wires make sure they are clean and tight, there are grounds under the hood and in the spare tire well!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Without the codes and the voltage output(static and engine running) it's impossible to offer any help.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:27 PM

Codes

So this is what the ship told me. They drive it this morning, light was off. Let it sit awhile, drive again it comes back on. Done this a few times in and off goes the light. They said B1325 code shows up in body control module and radio. Also some other codes that showed was P0102,P0113, P0300, P0622 and B3006. Please need input! I don't want to keep putting money into this if it is not worth it!

Originally Posted by lilmoe
It is the battery light that stays in. I am getting the codes and will post soon

Last edited by whopper; 10-30-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: edited the posted codes - ie: it is P0102, NOT PO102 - only the first character is a letter, the rest are Numbers - big diff.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Deceased

OK, those codes are a real hodgepodge, gonna have to pull up my FSM and read through some fault trees.

In the meantime folks, chip in with your insights.

These Trucklets are complex electronically lilmoe, so an immediate answer might not be possible, but we'll come up with some ideas.

Body Control and Powertrain Codes suggest a "Cascade Failure" where one is the root cause, and the rest are like toppling dominoes.

Quick Reply: help with check engin light and traction control