Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Overdrive not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 PM

Overdrive not engaging

Hello everyone and thank you all for being on this site. I have a 2006 2.2 HHR LT with 130K miles. The transmission filter/fluid has never been changed. The car never shifts into Overdrive anymore. At 60mph it will be running 2600rpm and never goes lower and seems like the motor is slowing the car down the second you let off the gas.
Could it just be the filter/fluid? It's my wife's car and I only recently started driving it. When I commented she said when she had the tires rotated 2 times ago about 10K, is when she noticed what I'm talking about, but it didn't seem important. Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Could be, but probably something worse. A transmission shop would be able to tell you. Sometimes there will be a stored code, so maybe a simple check with a good scanner by somebody that knows what they are doing.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nate71
Hello everyone and thank you all for being on this site. I have a 2006 2.2 HHR LT with 130K miles. The transmission filter/fluid has never been changed. The car never shifts into Overdrive anymore. At 60mph it will be running 2600rpm and never goes lower and seems like the motor is slowing the car down the second you let off the gas.
Could it just be the filter/fluid? It's my wife's car and I only recently started driving it. When I commented she said when she had the tires rotated 2 times ago about 10K, is when she noticed what I'm talking about, but it didn't seem important. Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks.
Welcome to the site.
"Didn't seem important". It will be important when the transmission fails and she's stuck on the side of the road.
Plus. I bet the gas mileage has dropped off too.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Technical Moderator

I am always amazed at what is not important to some folks. A couple of weeks ago I told a gal at work that she had a flat tire, I mean flat not low. Her response was "yeah, I know it's been like that I'll go to the shop next MONTH and get it fixed."
Old 05-19-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks Donbrew, I didn't think about a fail code. And FiremanGeorge, you're right but I still can never change the way that or any woman thinks.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM

Anybody know if these cars have a TCC solenoid? I had one fail in a Cadillac Deville and had no torque converter clutch lockup feature. Transmission and engine had to come out and separated to replace a $20 item! Yup, they do, here's a link. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/torque-converter-clutch-solenoid-45110/#post694437
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM

Check your water temp... make s u 're it's getting about 160 deg.... TC won't engage below this...
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 AM

Maybe yer shift linkeged might be off. Does it go awY if you pull the power off the batery for 10sec. I belive theirs 2 shaft speed sensor. To make sure the shafts are I. Sink. Had a car when the whent I lost first. Gear lol was like I was gaking off I. Mud. I never looked at the chev tranny but im assuming its has them too. It might be throwing a vode for it and a lot of the time the engine light wont trip. Just an idea
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cornwalis
Maybe yer shift linkeged might be off. Does it go awY if you pull the power off the batery for 10sec. I belive theirs 2 shaft speed sensor. To make sure the shafts are I. Sink. Had a car when the whent I lost first. Gear lol was like I was gaking off I. Mud. I never looked at the chev tranny but im assuming its has them too. It might be throwing a vode for it and a lot of the time the engine light wont trip. Just an idea
??????
Not to sound mean, but your writing is so bad I don't think anyone knows what you're trying to say.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM

Ya it is lol. I have the tips. of my fingers missing down to the second knuckle lost them in a press last year guess I should use the keyboard not the cell.

Quick Reply: Overdrive not engaging