Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Possible Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by goetylsd
Gee, thanks! LMAO! That's funny! Believe it or not, I did Google search it but I only found information pertaining to full-size GM trucks, LS1 Corvettes, etc, but not much for the HHR. Not sure if the info is still relevant for the HHR or not... Different vehicles, different transmissions
I've seen that "Let Me GOOGLE That For You " thing used on some other Forums.

Only meant it as a Funny thing.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 PM

MY Google is more advanced.... It posts it for you too!

Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission will not shift gears.
Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty 2-3 Shift Solenoid valve
- 2-3 Shift Solenoid harness or connectors
- 2-3 Shift Solenoid circuit is open or shorted
Tech notes
When the a transmission solenoid is stuck on, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
P0757 CHEVROLET Description
2-3 shift solenoid valve is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.
When is the code detected?
The P0757 code is detected when the ECM has detected a mechanical fault with the solenoid energized, valve stuck on
Attached Images  

Last edited by BlackknighT; 03-03-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Deceased

X 2, you found that before I did Mike.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
I've seen that "Let Me GOOGLE That For You " thing used on some other Forums.

Only meant it as a Funny thing.

Oh I know... and I did get a kick out of that
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
MY Google is more advanced.... It posts it for you too!

Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission will not shift gears.
Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty 2-3 Shift Solenoid valve
- 2-3 Shift Solenoid harness or connectors
- 2-3 Shift Solenoid circuit is open or shorted
Tech notes
When the a transmission solenoid is stuck on, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
P0757 CHEVROLET Description
2-3 shift solenoid valve is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.
When is the code detected?
The P0757 code is detected when the ECM has detected a mechanical fault with the solenoid energized, valve stuck on
Well, earlier today, I went outside and popped the hood, and I was going to check the Transmission level with the dipstick. Funny thing, there doesn't seem to be one that I can find. Upon further review, I guess there is no dipstick on the HHR. So, in that case, how does one check the transmission fluid level/color? I don't really think a flush is the answer because I've heard that can cause way more problems than you bargained for...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Take it to your local,reputable transmission shop and get an estimate. Not sure if that code refers to an internal solenoid or a TCM problem,or both.

Off subject a little. My 1998 Dodge pickup had a stuck shift solenoid at 140K miles. No advance warning. Neighborhood transmission shop dropped the pan and replaced two solenoids for $130 the next day. Been fine for the last 2 years. I hope yours will be that simple to fix.
That would be really nice if that's all it is. I guess we'll have to see come Monday. As luck would have it, I don't happen to have $3000 laying around anywhere, so I hope it's something easy like you described. One can only hope...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Deceased

Give this thread a read, the 4T-45E is considered a "sealed" assembly unless its leaking externally, or due for a service as outlined in the owner's manual mileage table.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/checking-changing-transmission-fluid-28917/
Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Technical Moderator

If you are feeling real lucky, you might try changing the fluid and filter, maybe add one of the trans. chemical additives. But you need Lady Luck on your side. Flushing may make it worse, some shops will not do it first time at over 100K. Try AAMCO, but also go to a small independent shop for a second opinion.

The last off the cuff semi quote I got for a rebuilt installed was $3000. Change fluid & filter $100.

I scanned the trans section of the Service Manual a couple of weeks ago, it sounded sort of easy to replace the solenoids, but then I just scanned the pages.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Tyler- You've owned yours for how long now ?

& you are now just learning there is NO dipstick..

I would not have it "Flushed", but you should have had it serviced @ 100K at least..

That's what I would do now. But may be too late..
Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Tyler- You've owned yours for how long now ?

& you are now just learning there is NO dipstick..

I would not have it "Flushed", but you should have had it serviced @ 100K at least..

That's what I would do now. But may be too late..
I've owned my HHR for 2 years now. I guess I thought all cars had a dipstick for the transmission. What I don't understand is, what is the purpose of not having a transmission dipstick? So you have to take it to the dealer to have them tell you. I know how to read a dipstick, that's not something I need to go to the dealer for. But I guess don't have a choice now. I bought the car used with 91K miles. The fact that I had no way of knowing if the previous owner did a transmission flush at 50K, combined with hearing over and over how you're not supposed to flush a high mileage trans if it hasn't been performed at regular intervals, swayed me not to do a transmission flush at 100K or 150K. I figured if it was working fine, I should just leave it be rather than potentially cause more problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, ya know... My last car, a Buick Regal, I had the transmission flushed at 100K and it developed a violent jerking when it shifted through gears, and its done it ever since. That's why I was and am hesitant to do it to the HHR. I guess it's worth trying. But if the transmission is shot, I don't think I'm going to throw money at it. I love my HHR and it's served me very well and has been extremely reliable up until now, but once the transmission/engine on a car starts to go, I really don't think I want to hang on to the car for much longer. There gets to be a point where its not worth sticking money into a car. On a positive note, this opens up the door to get a newer car. I've tossed around the idea of getting a newer HHR for a while now, but I figured if mine was so reliable, why should I replace it? I always said once my car started giving me problems, then I would look for another one.

Found this one in Duluth, MN, 5 minutes away from me, seems like a good deal:
http://duluth.craigslist.org/ctd/2830019940.html

Not sure if I could get used to that "goldish" interior though. I also like the 2006-present Impala. They ride like a Cadillac, bigger engine, more power, lots of room, overall very comfortable car. Only thing is you lose the cool factor of the HHR and now own a vanilla "everycar". The Impala is a nice car nonetheless.

All I can do is take it to the shop Monday morning and see what they find. Maybe it's just the solenoids need to be replaced or whatever. Maybe its low on transmission fluid, who knows? I am not mechanically inclined enough to troubleshoot this myself, so beyond guessing, there's not much I can do. If it is the transmission, then I have to decide replace transmission vs. get another car. I love my HHR, so getting another isn't out of the question. But at 5 years old and 168,000 miles, the KBB value on mine is embarrassing. Wouldn't get crap for trade-in, especially with a bad trans. So I have some thinking to do...

Quick Reply: Possible Transmission Failure