Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Shift Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Question Shift Indicator Light

Can the shift indicator light on the dash of a standard trans HHR Panel be turned off by either myself or the dealer???

It's way to distracting for me anymore.....
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM

I have never seen mine come on. I've wondering why it was there. What RPM does it come on at?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Angry

It's coming on all the time on mine when you reach the upper RPM range, say anywhere between 2 & 4k depending on the gear your in. I've tried ignoring it long enough...on a back road or in traffic it's a real PIA........
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

I looked in the owners but didn't see any mention of being able to turn it off.
To be honest, you're the 1st person I've seen ask this question here. Sorry I can't help out.

The SS's don't have one with the 5 speed. Thank goodness.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Long shot here. I dont know squat about the light. But is there a fuse for that shift light?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

You got my interest with the question, so I thought I'd look around.

Found one other thread, started a while back, that asked about the light as well. Never got an adequate answer about it.

Also looked in the '10 Owners Manual and found this....

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...hhr_owners.pdf

I doubt if you could pull a fuse without affecting other instrumentation. It's all on a "printed" board, IIRC. Might be able, with some work, to pull the bulb if it is not part of the "print".

Doesn't provide much info, other than, "some vehicle MAY have...."

EDIT>>>>opps, my link did not provide the exact page. But after clicking the link, insert your curser over the IP page and click. Scroll down to 4-29.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks all for your replies...

I too checked the manual first, it tells a little about it but mentions nothing about shuttin it off. Talked to my non-dealer mechanic and he said he couldn't do anything about it, but perhaps a Chevy Dealer could disable it thru the computer. He also cautioned about removin the bulb cause it could throw an error code that would be worse than the light flashin....

Guess it'll be a trip to the dealer to see if I can ask a question and get an answer without draining my wallet....
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Srjeeper
It's coming on all the time on mine when you reach the upper RPM range, say anywhere between 2 & 4k depending on the gear your in. I've tried ignoring it long enough...on a back road or in traffic it's a real PIA........
I like how the manual states you "may" have a shift light.....

Well, I see the 2-4K range all the time, so I guess I'm one of the many that don't have it. Probably doesn't even have the bulb back there. To be honest, I think your the first I've heard that actually has it.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

The truck I drive at work has a warning light that says "Stop Engine". It stays on while the truck is running. The repair shop has looked and can't find a reason for it to be on.

My fix: A piece of black electrical tape covers the light.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM

I'm wondering if that's something that can be turned on or off with a hand held tuner or Tech 2 scanner.

Quick Reply: Shift Indicator Light