Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Shift Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Srjeeper
Well...went to the dealer this morning and they said it could not be turned off 'to their knowledge'. They also said if I were to fool with it, it could have an impact on my extended warranty, so looks like it's one of those things I'll have to learn to live with.

Here's a picture I found that shows it's location and you can see it unlit...now just imagine this yellow light flashin on & off while your drivin down the road day or night...

The one tech said something about 'Safety Feature', but when I asked him "Then why isn't it in ALL Standard HHR's, he moved on..

So I'm askin every HHR Standard owner to ask the Big Kahuna to please let that light burn out first on 'HHRed'.....of course that's the one light that will outlast me now......but it can't hurt to ask..

This is just a thought. They make different colored over-lays for the guage panel. Get one of those and when you install it put a piece of black tape over the light and then install the over-lay. Two birds with one stone...improve looks of the guages and remove light without actually removing it. This could work.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up Things are lookin up....

Have a friend that is the #1 Truck Tech/Mechanic for a GMC dealership. Gave him a call yesterday and asked if he could look into the Upshift Light for me.

Tonight he called and said he went into their computer data base and here's what he found. It mentions very little about this light in there, but it may be something that's programable thru the configuration setup they have. He understands the annoyance of the light and took the vin # to look into it further. He does not see any issues with safety as it's not something that's required by State or Federal governing bodies. He did say if he didn't have the info at the dealership, he could contact their Tech Support and they would walk him thru the proceedure, if there is one.

Then I asked about removing a bulb or somehow disabeling the light. He warned against messing with the dash pod at all. Seems that even static electricity can disable the entire unit or at the very least screw some things up and most lights inside anymore are all LED's.

It'll be a few weeks probably before he gets back to me on this as he's a big Archery Hunter and their season is in now up in these parts. When he does though, I'll be sure to post whatever he reports back.

Thanks again for all the replies and feedbak on this.....
Old 08-16-2021, 06:33 PM

And 8 years later? No update.