Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Automatic Shift Handle Position Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Automatic Shift Handle Position Indicator

I tried a search on this, but didn't come up with anything.

The automatic shift position indicator (P R N D I L) in my HHR is very difficult to tell what gear it is in, particularly in bright daylight. My vehicle is an SS, but it is the same as the regular HHR automatics.

Has anyone come up with any ideas for making the indicators easier to see ? I would like to be able to tell at a quick glance what gear I have selected, without having to stare at it, or do it by feel and counting.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 AM

I haven't heard of any after market stuff like that. Just like a manual shift, you know the position by feel and by looking at the tac. If you get into R, you are going backwards, N, you are going nowhere, D, forward, I, forward higher rpm, L, forward lots higher rpm.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 AM

you may want to try this:

another car I have uses a floor mounted shifter like the HHR. over time, sun has damaged the gear indicator where it is hard to see in some conditions.

what some folks have done is to buy a small bottle a TESTORS model paint in a "glo" color, such as red, pale green, or bright orange.

these colors light up easily in the day, but at night they appear stock.

case in point, when some folks have purchased custom intrument guages on the other cars I speak of, the stock "needles" can become invisible at night due to the color of the background guages...the people would remove the needle, and dip it in the TESTORS model paint and let it dry...it looked stock in the day, but lit up nice at night.

try removing the shifter bezel and see if you can custom paint your shift indicator.
they make a flourescent red paint marker...might be worth looking in to

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1445