Featured HHR Submissions Featured HHR submissions, voting, and showcasing.

Grandma's November 2015 HHR of the Month Submission

Old 11-08-2015, 11:25 PM

Arrow Grandma's November 2015 HHR of the Month Submission

This will be my first submission here, you can see what else I've got going on here:https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/memb...eluscak-75419/

Name: Dan Beluscak
Vehicle: 2007 Chevrolet HHR LT - 2.2L
Options: Cruise Control, Keyless Entry Remote Start System, Power Windows/Locks, A/C(well technically that isn't charged yet..) A pretty low optioned car, but the most important were the Sunburst Orange Metallic Paint and the Chrome Beauty Package!
Modifications;
- Engine: Stock 2.2 L, but completely rebuilt ("freshened up") with 487 miles as of today! New rings and bearings, gaskets, seals,timing set, water pump, etc. The only thing reused were the "freshened up" set of valves from the SS engine. Painted Completely to match body, polished whatever else I could. If it was dirty, its fresh and painted today. The trans still has 150,000 miles but it got completely dumped and a fresh filter. Filled with Valvoline Full Syn ATF. A full change is like 12.5 qts, no wonder its fill for life.

- Exterior: Found a dirt cheap pair of SS rims locally, with TPMS on all 4. As a bonus they came equipped with some serious Falken snow tires (70-80% tread). When I say dirt cheap, everyone will be jealous but..$300 bucks!!! I couldn't even haggle at that price. Couldn't buy 2 tires for that. Polished out real nice.
- Painted Calipers and Drums while engine was out being rebuilt. (the wife did real a nice job!)
- Removed(wouldn't do that again..)then painted emblems. Black with an orange border.

- Interior: No mods yet, I wish I had taken before and after pics of the interior. It looked like it drove around carpooling children, while it wasn't doing that it must've been used for landscaping. The headliner was nice but the rest was filthy. Credit goes to grandma who came over and disinfected the whole thing. Future plans are too hydrodip orange and a creme white scheme. Grandma does commercial embroidery from home, so who knows!

- Future Plans:
SUPERCHARGED! It's rebuilt with 500 miles, this is a no brainer. Looking for a wrecked Cobalt to borrow some parts from. It's going to be grandmas but it'll be fun taking 3 worthy HHRs up on track night. It's quite peppy now, even in stock form. I'd say to 20MPH it'd even take the SS. But after that the turbo spools and she's long gone.

Here's The Story:

This was actually a vehicle I purchased to get us through while the wife's (swiftlikeninjas) SS is down for surgery this winter. It was suppose to be a quick flip. Get it running and sell in the spring kind of deal. That was until my mother saw it. She fell in love with the color. So it went "overboard" and turned into what we have here.

It was barely running, puffing on 3 cylinders when I picked it up. It had broken timing guides and had jumped time. I've actually seen this before on the wife's car. Only it wasn't this bad. This one had bent 3 intake valves. Luckily, I had the SS motor in pieces so I swapped the valves over for the rebuild.

I've got no problem disclosing what I've paid and what I've got in it. Kinda proud of it actually, shows in the final product. I only paid $1400, add in $300 for the rims, another $300 in parts and paint. About $2,000 dollars, not bad at all. I think I have somewhere near 50 hours of labor into it. 12 hours went into the valve cover... But all well worth it.

Before the pics, I have to admit. These are unwashed, it happened to be nice over by moms today and she wanted to get some pics. Still came out really nice! Who knows when we'll have another nice day with winter on its way.

This is how we got it:

Even the kids got dirty.

We freshened it up all right!

We left a special message for grandma under the bumper. All her loved ones!

Here it was today! Unwashed...sorry. There is a small bit of rust on the lower corner of each passenger door I'll need to address before winter.

Thanks for looking and Good Luck to all this months entrants! Let's hope for LOTS. I'm also trying to help mom get signed up here. Adding yet another family member to our GREAT community.

Last edited by 843de; 11-09-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Deceased

Good luck, it really came out really nice!

We'd be glad to have your Mom here as a member, but keep in mind that under the contest rules..."*You must be the owner of the HHR you are submitting".

So if you transfer the title to her, we'd have to sit on the entry until her 30 day probationary period expires and then re-enter into that month's contest.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:23 AM

She won't get the title until after the winter. For now it's mine!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Administrator

That's hot rodding! Buy it cheap pick up some deals and build it into what you want!, er, at least what G Ma wants!!
I just might have to send Old Blue down there for training lesson for the kids!
Practice makes perfect!!
Best of luck in the voting!!

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-30-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
She won't get the title until after the winter. For now it's mine!
Cool beans!

I hate it when I have to be "Mr. Downer" here.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
That's hot rodding! But it cheap pick up some deals and build it into what you want!, er, at least what G Ma wants!!
I just might have to send Old Blue down there for training lesson for the kids!
Practice makes perfect!!
Best of luck in the voting!!
We'd take real good care of Blue. It's funny you mention the kids. Every Friday I get a few hours to put my 9 year old daughter on the bus. We're standing there waiting and we hear this cobalt coming down the street. She looks and says; "geez another Chevy with broken timing guides! Must be something to do with their red color..."

So like it or not, they're learning. Very cool moment for me.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Deceased

You've got a "Motorhead Apprentice First Class" there Dan.

"geez another Chevy with broken timing guides! Must be something to do with their red color..."

Man that's priceless!!
Old 11-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Awesome! She is a peach!!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:31 AM

Engine looks amazing, great job! Looks like this HHR is a real "family" affair, which is very cool! Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:25 PM

I remember running against you in the November submissions. I really like the fact that this is a family project. Look like you guys are doing a great job on it! Goodluck with it and keep up the good work!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grandma's November 2015 HHR of the Month Submission