Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Fuel Economy - Hypermiling (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-47/)
-   -   Absurd Mileage! (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/fuel-economy-hypermiling-47/absurd-mileage-17070/)

Clevelandhhrss 07-31-2008 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff® (Post 297456)
Drops to 24 when my wife drives. :roll:

As for the wormhole on I90, they filled in some potholes, decreasing the up and down distance. Potholes in Cleveland have been known to swallow cars. :eek:

And.... a Real engineer would have posted an Excel spreadsheet with graphs. :p:

Do you know how to post that here? That would be great because i'm tired to copying and pasting the information from my excel spreadsheet into this little box. I guess that would be a simple task for a programmer. Let me know how. and I will do just that :)

Although funny, the potholes are not why my distance to work is dropping and or varing despite the fact that I take the EXACT same route everyday.

Clevelandhhrss 07-31-2008 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kwboydston (Post 297278)
Ok I am not trying to a smartelic but just making a statement. I drive 31 miles one way to work as of right now I am getting 32.6 mpg NOW when the wife drives we get about 29mpg but I have noticed that she likes to accelirate quikly when she takes off. Will that alone explane the milage differance?

It depends. As I watch other drivers accelerate I realize that what I consider "fast" is slower than 75% of the population. When I accelerate slow, anyone under 75 years of age is thinking WTF! let me around this HHR S-uperS-low so I can hurry up and WAIT at he the next red light. So, I am assuming that your wife accelerates very-fast under my definition and you simply accelerate fast. If this is true then yes her foot is a little heavy, and that could EASILY drop your overall mpg down 1-3mpg. Also I have noticed that some people (sorry mom and ex-gfs) go directly from the gas to the brake. Your car will not suddenly explode or spontaneously combust if you glide/coast, or even glide in neutral (easier in the manual), I'm suprised how many women (usually safer drivers according to insurance companies) practice the cabby style of driving. Watch her closely, see if she is doing this. That is probably teh bigest factor. If you want to be sneaky, just reset the odo-b, avg spd, and avg-mpg before the next time she drives it. As long as she puts more than 10 miles on it, and isnt delivering the morning Plain Dealer, you will get a good idea about the weight of her foot.

P.S. Sexist comment are for levity. Hardy Har, laugh a little were just kidding.

Clevelandhhrss 07-31-2008 03:58 PM

Day #6 and I'm getting better at this. I fixed the worm hole, P&G on the highway is more comfortable now.

Quick story.

I was going home I90west and was passed by a couple of ladies on speedbikes. They were nabbed by two cops about a mile later. Not sure why unless they were speeding until they passed me and saw the speedtrap. Oh well, $350 down the tubes. As I looked in my rearview I watched the cop almost ram the second bike due to braking late and not realizing the amount and SIZE of the gravel on the shoulder. I'm pro-law, but tend to be anti-cop. No reason to make chase like Bullit, when they clearly yielded right as soon as they heard the sirens, and then throw gravel riding right up behind them, almost losing control. Whatever.

I also coined a new term for (well I've never heard it)

Yo-Yo,

I find that some drivers simply drive at whatever speed the person in front is driving. If i go from 54 to 63 back down to 55 then 64 so on and so forth, in the slow lane (4 clear open lanes total). Why would you attempt to drive 65 behind me??? You would thing the first time I slowed to 55 you would go around. But nooooo, you just hit the brake, then once I pulse, there they are again right onmy bumper, then the glide, their on the brakes again?? There ar 3 other lanes, and the limit is 60, the cops just laid the smack down on two people, if you want to set cruise on 65-70 (60mph zone) move left a couple lanes???

That is a Yo-Yo.

TotalMiles. TripMile. Avg trip …...AVGMPH. TripMPH…. AVGMPG. TripMPG… FuelRange…. Projectedrange. %highway.. epa projected mlge.. Hypermile improvement over epa..
211.4 ____ 12.2 ____ 11.7 ____ 37.0 ____ 37.0 ____ 35.1 ____ 33.5 ____ 358.0 ____ 568.6 ____ 75.80% _______ 27.1 _________ 23.9% to work
216.0 ____ 4.6 ____ 11.4 ____ 37.0 ____ 37.0 ____ 35.1 ____ 35.1 ____ 357.0 ____ 568.6 ____ 0.00% _______ 21.0 _________ 67.1% to Arbis, the hell with that mcdonalds
228.3 ____ 12.3 ____ 11.4 ____ 37.0 ____ 37.0 ____ 35.2 ____ 37.1 ____ 370.0 ____ 570.2 ____ 75.80% _______ 27.1 _________ 36.9% from work

Jeff® 07-31-2008 06:12 PM

The only way I could think of is to become a premium member and attach the file to your post, or put it on a web site and link it.

My data base is a couple weeks of resetting the average MPG on both ends of my commute of 35 miles. Going to work was a consistent 29MPG and going home a consistent 33MPG. This was with cruise at 65. The difference I'm sure is that work is about 600 ft higher in elevation than home.

Clevelandhhrss 07-31-2008 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff® (Post 297764)
The only way I could think of is to become a premium member and attach the file to your post, or put it on a web site and link it.

My data base is a couple weeks of resetting the average MPG on both ends of my commute of 35 miles. Going to work was a consistent 29MPG and going home a consistent 33MPG. This was with cruise at 65. The difference I'm sure is that work is about 600 ft higher in elevation than home.

It is difficult to get mpg's in the 40's without taking longer trips. The cold start up, parking garage, and Downtown city driving is hurting me. However this is a test of 600 miles under my normal routes and habits. I looked at my last few to work and home and have come to a conclusion. Asuming 75% highway and 25% city my actual hwy/city split is 40/28. Longer drives with a warmer car on relatively flat , non windy roads is almost 42mpg hwy. Any higher then that and other drivers might take notice (read annoyed), or would required semi-dangerous or frowned upon FE techniques, or some type of modification/tune.

stovebolt34 08-01-2008 05:23 AM

Got to experience a "yo-Yo" on the way home from my p/t job last night; rode behind me for 3 miles making faces before chossing one of the two other lanes to pass :roll:

Clevelandhhrss 08-01-2008 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by stovebolt34 (Post 297968)
Got to experience a "yo-Yo" on the way home from my p/t job last night; rode behind me for 3 miles making faces before chossing one of the two other lanes to pass :roll:

I just feel that MY CAR is not a cruise control device. Do not use ME to set your speed. It's quite aggravating. If they wanted to pulse and glide in sequence behind me, no prob. But seriously I am NOT going to move left to allow you to pass on my right. The person that Yo-Yo'ed behind me yesterday was getting off at an exit 5 miles from where they got behind me? I did in fact move left because I feared that they would rearend my beloved SS.

I was rear-ended on the highway in 2005 1 mile after getting on the highway leaving work. I pulled into the middle lane (3 lanes) on 176N 2 miles before the eastbound interbelt merge. Left lane is at a standstill, middle (the one im in) is stop and go, the right lane is flowing free at 50+. Stop and go....3 times, go..then stop..go then stop, go then stop, go then CRASH! WTF, you saw me the first 3 times. We anyway she never hit the brakes before smashing me at 35-40mph. Her head was turned 90 degrees talking to her passenger. The s10 blazer behind her (high enough to see through the car window in front if paying attention) hit the second car. The second car wasn't driving to the condition, but Yo-Yo'ing the car that hit me. I had no escape to the right or left because of traffic.

The moral is she was Yo-Yo'ing me , but didnt pay close enough attention. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Drive your car or HHR, don't have me driving FOR YOU. 6 months of upper back and neck therapy later i began to feel like normal.

Clevelandhhrss 08-01-2008 04:56 PM

Day 7. Yep nothing too special here. I'm still getting 42/29 hwy/city. It will be easy to get 600 miles on a tank the next time from what I've learned so far

TotalMiles. TripMile. Avg trip …...AVGMPH. TripMPH…. AVGMPG. TripMPG… FuelRange…. Projectedrange. %highway.. epa projected mlge.. Hypermile improvement over epa..
240.5 ____ 12.2 ____ 11.5 ____ 37.0 ____ 37.0 ____ 35.1 ____ 33.3 ____ 332.0 ____ 568.6 ____ 75.80% _______ 27.1 _________ 23.1% to work
252.7 ____ 12.2 ____ 11.5 ____ 38.0 ____ 81.3 ____ 35.3 ____ 39.8 ____ 327.0 ____ 571.9 ____ 75.80% _______ 27.1 _________ 46.9% from work

Lone Ranger 08-01-2008 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss (Post 297702)
I'm pro-law, but tend to be anti-cop.

How disappointing. Why don't you like us? :nuts:

SPPD 08-01-2008 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger (Post 298265)
How disappointing. Why don't you like us? :nuts:

ya, what he said?