Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

CNG Compressed Natural Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM

CNG Compressed Natural Gas

Anyone running CNG in their HHR? I am thinking about installing a conversion kit in mine. CNG is around $1.75 a gal locally in my area. I spoke to someone who had it on a Chevy Taho and said it was getting the same MPG as gasoline.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Founding Member

I'm sure tuning would be involved. Where you could get a CNG is not known to me. It can't be a "plug and play" install.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:11 PM

I"m actually in the process of getting my state CNG inspection certification. It's not plug and play, but the kits do work well. As long as you have the local infrastucture it's a good doable conversion. Just remember that it will affect your resale. As a potential buyer will also be limited.

But if your going to do it, do a full conversion, not a bi fuel setup. Hardest part on an HHR is where to put the tanks........They need to be in a very safe location with good protection. You will lose cargo space considerably.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM

http://www.ewsews.com/cnghome.html

This link is where I was looking at getting a kit. Yes I have given a lot of thought and done some measuring for the tanks. I will probably cut out an area in the back floor where the storage and spare tire are currently and make modifications for the tanks to fit. I can do all the work my self, I have a shop where I do complete restorations on automobiles.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 AM

Talking Bi-fuel conversion

I'm starting a conversion in the next or so as well. Dual tanks from a Crown Vic will fit in the rear tire well, but will be above inner floor level with no mods performed. I plan to modify floor also, too keep the back 100% usable. There are to sizes for the interior of Crown Vics. 7gge 38''x18''x11'' 9gge 42''x21''x12''. They are also set-up already to be vented to the outside for safety reasons. No need to bag system.
I did the same conversion on a Pontiac Vibe (matrix). Tanks were about 4 inches above inner floor level. In that car I used the EWS kit. It's considered a Aspirated type. The kit worked very well. I also install an EWS millennium kit in a 2003 Chevy 1 ton van, had issues with lean misfire at idle. Seems gas has poor distribution at idle, rear cylinders were running lean, due to only one fuel supply before throttle body.
On my HHR, I will using a sequential (multi-port) injection system, Auto-Gaz Centrum made by Zenit. I'll be posting updates and pics in the next few weeks.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool57
Anyone running CNG in their HHR? I am thinking about installing a conversion kit in mine. CNG is around $1.75 a gal locally in my area. I spoke to someone who had it on a Chevy Taho and said it was getting the same MPG as gasoline.
The rule of thumb is a 10% loss of power and fuel mileage. I have experienced loss in power, but the same fuel mileage in my first bi-fuel conversion.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SlowHHRlt
I'm starting a conversion in the next or so as well. Dual tanks from a Crown Vic will fit in the rear tire well, but will be above inner floor level with no mods performed. I plan to modify floor also, too keep the back 100% usable. There are to sizes for the interior of Crown Vics. 7gge 38''x18''x11'' 9gge 42''x21''x12''. They are also set-up already to be vented to the outside for safety reasons. No need to bag system.
I did the same conversion on a Pontiac Vibe (matrix). Tanks were about 4 inches above inner floor level. In that car I used the EWS kit. It's considered a Aspirated type. The kit worked very well. I also install an EWS millennium kit in a 2003 Chevy 1 ton van, had issues with lean misfire at idle. Seems gas has poor distribution at idle, rear cylinders were running lean, due to only one fuel supply before throttle body.
On my HHR, I will using a sequential (multi-port) injection system, Auto-Gaz Centrum made by Zenit. I'll be posting updates and pics in the next few weeks.
Thanks for your input, you and I are thinking along the same lines. It is nice to get some input from someone who has actually done such work rather than just dream about it. I can live with the few inches I will loose in the floor hight. Where did you get the crown vic tanks, from a salvage yard? or new or...? I drive around 1450 miles a week and am doing this to save $$$ on fuel cost, the green that I am mostly concerned with is that in my back pocket. I think this system will pay for itself in about 6 months with the miles that I drive.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool57
Thanks for your input, you and I are thinking along the same lines. It is nice to get some input from someone who has actually done such work rather than just dream about it. I can live with the few inches I will loose in the floor hight. Where did you get the crown vic tanks, from a salvage yard? or new or...? I drive around 1450 miles a week and am doing this to save $$$ on fuel cost, the green that I am mostly concerned with is that in my back pocket. I think this system will pay for itself in about 6 months with the miles that I drive.
Hi OldSchool57, give Anthony a call. I have purchased 3 kits and tanks from him this year. He will be able to supply the EWS kit as well the tank. Let him know that Jim in Corona referred you to him.
Anthony D. Laub
CNG Global Inc.
P.O. Box 150316
Ogden, Utah 84415
cngglobalinc@gmail.com
801-920-4796
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by solman98
I"m actually in the process of getting my state CNG inspection certification. It's not plug and play, but the kits do work well. As long as you have the local infrastucture it's a good doable conversion. Just remember that it will affect your resale. As a potential buyer will also be limited.

But if your going to do it, do a full conversion, not a bi fuel setup. Hardest part on an HHR is where to put the tanks........They need to be in a very safe location with good protection. You will lose cargo space considerably.
As far as resale goes, it would increase the value.
I sold my 2003 Pontiac Vibe for $1500 more than market value. On top of that it had 207,000 miles on it and still had a lot of interested parties.

The main advantage of bi-fuel, is that if you are not near a CNG station the car will switch back to gasoline.
The main reason to go full CNG is to get Tax credits. Which would help off-set price of full conversion.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SlowHHRlt
Hi OldSchool57, give Anthony a call. I have purchased 3 kits and tanks from him this year. He will be able to supply the EWS kit as well the tank. Let him know that Jim in Corona referred you to him.
Anthony D. Laub
CNG Global Inc.
P.O. Box 150316
Ogden, Utah 84415
cngglobalinc@gmail.com
801-920-4796
Careful with EWS - Their systems are not EPA certified and will cause you to void your warranty on the vehicle, as well as you will be at risk for a $10,000 fine from the Federal Government for tampering with the emmissions on your vehicle.

Look for people who have the certification or are aleast registered with the EPA as a small volume manufacturer.

Last edited by goetylsd; 01-11-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Removed Advertising