Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Not sure if they would have changed the tire pressure for the 2011, but, my 2006 calls for 35 psi all around when tires are cold.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM

I bought The Econmeter shows int. mileage average mpg. in June I drove to the SoCal BAR-B-Q 85 miles from my home at a steady 72 MPH I was getting 34.7 MPG my 2006 2lt with an auto.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM

@CCBouncer, have you checked the air filter? Have you put gas in from a different station?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

CCBouncer probably isn't driving to much currently. Gas, as I understand from the news accounts, is very hard to get in NYC.

Anyhow, tire pressure is an important component to MPG. As others have mentioned, you need to check the correct air pressure, COLD, in all your tires. Depending on the model and tire size., air pressure should be 30-35 psi. The sticker on your drivers door pillar will tell you the correct amount.

Also, if your city/state has a mandated gas blend change for the winter months that will have an effect on MPG as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Just drove 1800 miles in a week around oregon and Nor Cal. With 4 people and luggage piled to the ceiling in the back, got 35 mpg average for the trip including all the time in towns shopping/ sight seeing etc. only spent $212 on gas for the trip. oh its a 2007 LS with the 2.2 and a five speed. 3 years ago when I used to tow a teardrop trailer with my hhr, the milege on the same 1800 mile loop was about 19. But I was moving 5000 lbs on that trip. My tires are still the stock firestones, (I run Blizzaks 7 months out of the year, so my summer tires are rotting faster than they are wearing) and 35psi with the load.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Thank you all who replied.

Snoopy is right, I haven't been driving due to a gas shortage in NYC but I brought the tire pressure up to 32psi average on all four tires and reset the fuel gauge thingy. It's now reporting an average of 31 to 34 highway.

I appreciated all the advice!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Tire pressure goes by the tire, dont go by the cars sticker, GM didnt make the tire. My tires are a max of 44 psi so I run them at 40 psi. I average 27 city and 36 Hwy at 70 mph, with the 2.2 L engine.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rigormortor
Tire pressure goes by the tire, dont go by the cars sticker, GM didnt make the tire. My tires are a max of 44 psi so I run them at 40 psi. I average 27 city and 36 Hwy at 70 mph, with the 2.2 L engine.
Sorry. But that is sooo wrong.
Tires are not made for specific cars. They can be used on a wide range of models. Therefore, the door sticker is the proper inflation pressure for your car with that tire size and your cars weight, and other factors taken into consideration.

If you run your tires at 40 psi....you are going to wear out the middle of the contact patch, and shorten the life of the tire. Not to mention reducing the actual contact your tires has with the road....not safe.

Your increased fuel economy is likely due to the reduced rolling resistance from the smaller contact with the road...
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 AM

Here is a blatant cut and paste...lol

A tire's "maximum inflation pressure" may be different that the assigned tire pressure used to rate the tire's "maximum load." For example, while a P-metric sized standard load tire's maximum load is rated at 35 psi, many P-metric sized standard load performance and touring tires are designed to contain up to 44 psi (and are branded on their sidewalls accordingly). This additional range of inflation pressure (in this case, between 36 and 44 psi) has been provided to accommodate any unique handling, high speed and/or rolling resistance requirements determined by the tire and vehicle manufacturers. These unique tire pressures will be identified on the vehicle placard in the vehicle's owner's manual.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
Sorry. But that is sooo wrong.
Tires are not made for specific cars. They can be used on a wide range of models. Therefore, the door sticker is the proper inflation pressure for your car with that tire size and your cars weight, and other factors taken into consideration.

If you run your tires at 40 psi....you are going to wear out the middle of the contact patch, and shorten the life of the tire. Not to mention reducing the actual contact your tires has with the road....not safe.

Your increased fuel economy is likely due to the reduced rolling resistance from the smaller contact with the road...
I do not agree. I have been runing my tires this way for the last 30 years and I have never had any problems. You have 30 years exeperience.... then dont tell somone they are wrong!!

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage