Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Mods to improve mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Smile

I just took the HHR to the dealer & had them check it over. Absolutely no codes & only one update to the pcm for the transmission.

I drive the speed limit (ok, maybe 5 over), don't race the lights, shoot haven't even chirped the tires yet!! I don't hot rod it or drive very aggressively - not a bluehair by any means, but not what I call aggressive. Wife is closer to a bluehair than me & she doesn't do any better on mpg. I agree that in most cases, the driver causes the mileage, but I really don't drive hard.

Just looking for a way to get the most mpg out of the car - we're heading to the Carolina's on vacation here in a couple weeks (from IL), so need the best mpg I can get. Have even thought of doing the nitrogen in the tires, supposed to be a 5% increase in mpg.

Keep the comments coming, it sounds like a couple others are also interested. Thanks!!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 07Cappy
I just took the HHR to the dealer & had them check it over. Absolutely no codes & only one update to the pcm for the transmission.

I drive the speed limit (ok, maybe 5 over), don't race the lights, shoot haven't even chirped the tires yet!! I don't hot rod it or drive very aggressively - not a bluehair by any means, but not what I call aggressive. Wife is closer to a bluehair than me & she doesn't do any better on mpg. I agree that in most cases, the driver causes the mileage, but I really don't drive hard.

Just looking for a way to get the most mpg out of the car - we're heading to the Carolina's on vacation here in a couple weeks (from IL), so need the best mpg I can get. Have even thought of doing the nitrogen in the tires, supposed to be a 5% increase in mpg.

Keep the comments coming, it sounds like a couple others are also interested. Thanks!!!!
I have posted about this many many times, I am not sure of the threads, but check my name, look at my posts, and you will see my comments.
But heres the shortest i can make it.

Coast wherever possible, IF YOU DON'T COAST REGULARY IN YOUR HHR. YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT MILEAGE.

Drive as close to 58-62 as possible, (some states I think don't even ticket until 80 in a 70), so ignore the other drivers....they don't care about mileage if they do anything over 65.

I already have synthetic so I cannot comment on mileage gains....but why not use it.

Nitrogen is useless if you check you tire pressure regularly or have tpm's (i do) from the factory. Keep them at the max reccomended marked on the tire. Allow a little tolerance for the fact that tires heat up and increase pressure 4 psi-5psi (that I have seen, you may see more). I use 32 psi is the lowest/coldest I let it get to parked. 38psi is the hottest i allow on the highway for an extended warm up and stabilization temp.

Use 87, because it is cheaper and all HHR's run fine on it, including my SS for PURPOSES OF MILEAGE. Forget the other octanes exist please.

Accelerate slowly, momentum is the key, time the lights, treat other cars as people NOT OBSTACLES TO BE HURDLED/PASSED.

Use cruise except in very hilly/undulating terrain. In West Virginia/Pennsylvania I drive like a bowling ball. Fast on the downs, slow on the ups. I probably look a lot like a rollercoaster.

Dont draft because a new windshield/headlamp will buy a lot of 5$ gas.

Don't ever idle, warm up the car, go inside the drive through if the line is long/slow.

Never pass on an uphill.

I have a boost gauge, it rarely gets above -10 if I want good mileage.

Highest gear possible at all times.

I can;t think of anything else right now.

But get a scangauge or dashhawk if you really want to do it right. I have a boost gauge and instant mpg so I dont need those great devices.

Later...good luck as me anything.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 PM

I think there is a miscommunication here, I think some people are mentioning the AVG MPG from their DIC and some are mentioning Instant MPG from their DIC. Instant MPG will move up and down, spike high, drop, spike back up, etc.

My last car was a GM V8 and it had instant MPG reaadout-- At times it would read mid 30's on instant MPG, like if there was a slight barely noticable downgrade slope to the road for a while, etc.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I think there is a miscommunication here, I think some people are mentioning the AVG MPG from their DIC and some are mentioning Instant MPG from their DIC. Instant MPG will move up and down, spike high, drop, spike back up, etc.

My last car was a GM V8 and it had instant MPG reaadout-- At times it would read mid 30's on instant MPG, like if there was a slight barely noticable downgrade slope to the road for a while, etc.

I see. Just in case anyone misunderstood me. The instant mpg is to help you DRIVE, while the avg mpg tells you how well you DROVE. My instant mpg commonly saids 99mpg because i can't read 150mpg lol. My worst mpg over a thousand miles is 28.7mpg. So thats about 410 miles to a fill up (14.25 gallons) without fear or running dry. My best over 1000 miles is 33mpg which is 470 miles between fill ups. My best one tank tripS! have been over 515 miles for 14.25 gallons. which is over 36mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Me and my HHR are not special. We just like to drive efficient.
A thread is comming to show everyone how. I'll do this right so as to end all these SAME questions about mileage. I just need a little time.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Instant MPG via the DIC on '08s and later?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Wife had a 2007 Nissan Altima as loaner car while her Beetle TDI was having a sunroof leak repaired. The Altima had a very cool real time display on the speedo showing instant mpg-- a lighted bar that moved like the LED equalizer bar graphs on a stereo except sideways instead of verticle.

I wish the 2007's (HHR's) and instant mpg readouts. Not sure why GM didn't use them, they've had them on some other models for over ten years.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
Yes.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
Scangauge11 or dashhawk will solve any hhr problem even if you dont have a DIC. Hardy har har

BTW That's one mean kitty
Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Wife had a 2007 Nissan Altima as loaner car while her Beetle TDI was having a sunroof leak repaired. The Altima had a very cool real time display on the speedo showing instant mpg-- a lighted bar that moved like the LED equalizer bar graphs on a stereo except sideways instead of verticle.

I wish the 2007's (HHR's) and instant mpg readouts. Not sure why GM didn't use them, they've had them on some other models for over ten years.

Scangauge11 or dashhawk will solve any hhr problem even if you dont have a DIC. Hardy har har
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM

I look forward to reading your write up on achieving high mpg, but I guess I'm asking more about what mods. = higher mpg. I'm sure if I would "think" more about increasing mpg while I was driving, I could see a significant change in what my DIC reads out. I have honestly been making an effort, but just haven't got there yet. I guess that's why I'm asking if there are mods. that would help - like a CAI will generally net 1 mpg & a pcm tune will net 3 mpg & exhaust will net 2 mpg & so on and so forth.

Like I said, I've been altering my driving style to increase my mpg, but I'm doomed to drive the way I drive, so if I can squeeze 3 mpg's out of a couple mods. with the way I drive, it may be worth it.

I think the nitrogen tires are a hoax - anyone have real life experience?

Keep the comments coming!!

Quick Reply: Mods to improve mpg?