Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

MPG update -> After PCM tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:44 PM

MPG update -> After PCM tuning

I am the first HHR customer to receive a 2.2L Ecotec tune from Trifecta Performance. You could say I was the Beta Tester I guess.

I'm up somewhere between 4-5mpg highway.

Today I did two 50 mile mileage tests. Average of about 68 mph for the 50 mile stretch, setting DIC to zero as soon as I was up to full speed on the interstate.

Trip 1 I-65 from north side of Nashville to Columbia TN: 36.0 MPG
Trip 2 (reverse of the above) 37.3 MPG.

This distance is pretty hilly, which kills the mileage. I have no doubt this car would hit 40mpg on a stretch of smooth flat highway like southern Indiana or just about anywhere else in the Midwest.

Car is an 07 2.2L automatic 1LT, only "mods" being Mobil 1 and the tuning from Trifecta Performance. Just google them to find their website.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:12 PM

I don't get it. If the engines are capable of 5 mpg better (which I'm not doubting), why did GM not tune them this way to begin with? What does the tune do different that GM did not deem appropriate/reliable for the masses?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Tuning for emissions and tuning for mileage aren't the same thing. In maximizing MPG you're probably not going to run as clean.

"Stoichiometric" air-to-fuel mixture of 14.7:1 is considered ideal for burning clean, but a little leaner mixture will produce better MPG but higher amounts of certain exhaust "pollutants".

Then there's warranty issues. A manufacturer shoots for a goal, for example something like 1 warranty claim per 10,000 vehicles lets say. Its possible their tune is more conservative from the factory because of this, whereas an owner like myself, who already takes good care of his car, can run a tune that's a little more aggressive in terms of leaning out the fuel and adding timing. GM can't control the maintenance habits of its customers so it has to tune for the worst case scenarios.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 AM

Leaner than 14.7:1 may also damage your valves, but... I don't believe it is possible to tune part-throttle operation A/F ratio-- the ECM works with the oxygen sensor to achieve as close to optimal (14.7:1)A/F ratio in real time as it can once you're in closed loop (coolant temp beyond a certain temp threshold). If you've ever watched a real time scanner you can see the oxygen sensor at work. The O2 sensor in front of the catalyst is for A/F ratio the O2 behind the catlyst is for emissions monitoring. A/F ratio tuning is usually only for WOT (Wide Open Throttle) operation. Playing with spark advance parameters in the ECM is a different story, but this can also lead to a need to burn premium fuel.

Originally Posted by chrisHHR
Tuning for emissions and tuning for mileage aren't the same thing. In maximizing MPG you're probably not going to run as clean.

"Stoichiometric" air-to-fuel mixture of 14.7:1 is considered ideal for burning clean, but a little leaner mixture will produce better MPG but higher amounts of certain exhaust "pollutants".

Then there's warranty issues. A manufacturer shoots for a goal, for example something like 1 warranty claim per 10,000 vehicles lets say. Its possible their tune is more conservative from the factory because of this, whereas an owner like myself, who already takes good care of his car, can run a tune that's a little more aggressive in terms of leaning out the fuel and adding timing. GM can't control the maintenance habits of its customers so it has to tune for the worst case scenarios.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 AM

What is Trifecta's claim for this tune? Increased economy or increased performance, etc?

How long have you had the tune installed? Did you do an exact similar run as you listed above before the tune?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 PM

A friend of mine with a 2006 2.2L HHR has also been working with Vince at Trifecta. He was the 1st 2.2L of any year to be done on 8-2-08...and is very pleased with the results. He is also an authorized Trifecta Tuning Shop.

As you know I have been working with Vince at Trifecta Performance and I got the beta tune in today and installed with no problems.

He called earlier and needed to verify some information about the HHR on equipment codes for ABS brakes and traction control.

Got the tune about 30 min later and just made around 6 runs hitting it hard and 2 normal driving

on my thermometer outside it read 101 and 102 when i got back so these are the conditions.

1. idle limiter and top end limiter are both gone
2. shifts are crisp and firm all the time now
3. full throttle take off, nice squeal on the tires, shifted at approx 6500 rpm’s and around 43 mph
4. when it shifted to 2nd it launched forward and really picked up some nice speed.
5. my 0-60 speed in feet was approx 45 feet shorter
6. i was already at 70 in 2nd in a 40 mph zone so i didn’t get to see when it shifted to 3rd.
7. driving normal got me 20 mph shift at 2nd and overdrive at 38 mph. i was only doing 2100 in 3rd at 35 so that was a nice change and should get some nice gas savings.
8. Traction control has not kicked on once and I have had harder hits in 2nd gear so it also fixed that and nothing on the starts as well

104 on temp gauge in back and 112 on DIC
Shagy was driving like it was 50 degrees

driving results from normal to freeway to on freeway and full out
let me say there are now no slumps or sluggishness in the shifting even on normal pick up and slow driving. It is smoother throughout the power band and more even and even at slow speeds it is running better
the tranny is pulling Shagy easier. i did normal driving to the freeway an then hammered it onto the freeway, went 2 miles and turned around and came back and got to 110 and came home playing in I and D to see how the feel was.

Go around a turn even in D and stomp on it and it jerks you around the corner and just doesnt quit pulling.
I LOVE IT
Rolling full throttles from slow speeds are just amazing and just a great thrill.

In D gear and normal drive and barely any foot in it- Grandma style driving
1st- 20
2nd- 30
3rd- 35
D- 38 (rpm’s never got over 1900 to 2000 before shifting into OD)

In D w a lil more foot in it
1st- 22
2nd- 33
3rd- 40
OD- when you let off the pedal or around 45 to 50

In D w it floored- shifts at 6500 rpm
1st- 42
2nd- 68 to 70
3rd- i had to let off the pedal to get it to want to change to OD- did so at 85

In Low or I it was very close. Low was a lil faster but not much and this way if you leave it in I gear you don’t have to worry about shifting to 3rdd which it unless you move it to I.

1st- 43
I- 73
3rd- goes to top end and i finally moved it to D to get it to change to OD at 103 mph

i went around a corner rolling and it just launches and just doesn’t quit pulling.
Words can not describe just how strong these lil Ecotech’s are and what they can do w just something simple as a tune.

if you want a lil sports car then a tune is one of the items that you just can not pass up.

with the positive shifting in the lower end even at 104 degrees your car will be getting more HP and better gas mileage

i cleared the DIC on MPG before i left and drove normal going to the freeway for 2.5 miles and then hard on the freeway and on the way back and i still averaged 18.9 on the DIC when i got back. i drove normal for a bit and i was getting 32 to 34 mpg.

i will let you know what i get this week driving normal and fast on different days

Even Carol noticed something coming back from eating that the power band is smoother and more even all thru normal driving range.
it actually makes turns smoother and more efficient now and very predictable.

initial reaction- I LOVE IT
Shagy even hauls faster than before
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM

has anyone verified these milage increases? the DIC can be tampered with by modifying the injector tables for its display, therefor causing high or low numbers at will. I would definately verify miles driven vs. gallons to full and calculate it myself. even gaining 1-2mpg is difficult, let alone 5...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

I have an 08 with the 2.4 and did the same as you except for 66 miles each leg including about 2.5 of stop and go to get home from freeway and to US Speedo in Flint. There and back for a total of over 130 miles at 60mph no air I got 36.5mpg so I'm not sure what yours comes up with is that great. Yes I drove 8 mph slower but I also have the bigger engine and about 30 more horses which should equal it out.
=====================
Originally Posted by chrisHHR
I am the first HHR customer to receive a 2.2L Ecotec tune from Trifecta Performance. You could say I was the Beta Tester I guess.

I'm up somewhere between 4-5mpg highway.

Today I did two 50 mile mileage tests. Average of about 68 mph for the 50 mile stretch, setting DIC to zero as soon as I was up to full speed on the interstate.

Trip 1 I-65 from north side of Nashville to Columbia TN: 36.0 MPG
Trip 2 (reverse of the above) 37.3 MPG.

This distance is pretty hilly, which kills the mileage. I have no doubt this car would hit 40mpg on a stretch of smooth flat highway like southern Indiana or just about anywhere else in the Midwest.

Car is an 07 2.2L automatic 1LT, only "mods" being Mobil 1 and the tuning from Trifecta Performance. Just google them to find their website.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
I have an 08 with the 2.4 and did the same as you except for 66 miles each leg including about 2.5 of stop and go to get home from freeway and to US Speedo in Flint. There and back for a total of over 130 miles at 60mph no air I got 36.5mpg so I'm not sure what yours comes up with is that great. Yes I drove 8 mph slower but I also have the bigger engine and about 30 more horses which should equal it out.
=====================
I have a tune and it's not for sale.
It's ME driving YOUR hhr...lol
I'll get no less then 37mpg on the highway with my 2.0 turbo 5 speed, since your 2.2 is supposed to get 3 more mpg on the highway than my ss, i'll shoot for 39 in your 2.2..lol

Added benifits..your brakes will last a really long time, and you will only need to change your oil every 10000+ miles
Later
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
has anyone verified these milage increases? the DIC can be tampered with by modifying the injector tables for its display, therefor causing high or low numbers at will. I would definately verify miles driven vs. gallons to full and calculate it myself. even gaining 1-2mpg is difficult, let alone 5...
This guy is self employed and keeps track of his mpg by hand as well, for tax purposes. No tampering going on here. He's been working with Vince to help get these tunes available for others, so there's no hokey stuff going on.

I figure mine by hand from time to time and have found that they are almost identical...maybe off by a tenth, but not much more.

Quick Reply: MPG update -> After PCM tuning