Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

MPG update -> After PCM tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Leaner than 14.7:1 may also damage your valves, but... I don't believe it is possible to tune part-throttle operation A/F ratio-- the ECM works with the oxygen sensor to achieve as close to optimal (14.7:1)A/F ratio in real time as it can once you're in closed loop (coolant temp beyond a certain temp threshold). If you've ever watched a real time scanner you can see the oxygen sensor at work. The O2 sensor in front of the catalyst is for A/F ratio the O2 behind the catlyst is for emissions monitoring. A/F ratio tuning is usually only for WOT (Wide Open Throttle) operation. Playing with spark advance parameters in the ECM is a different story, but this can also lead to a need to burn premium fuel.

The Buick GNs from the 80's had a "lean burn" mode. I agree that going too lean can burn valves (and other issues), but we're not talking about going "too lean".

In fact, I'm betting the MPG gains come from optimizing cruise timing, rather than AFR, since as you say it would be hard to tune closed loop (though not impossible).

From my LT1 owning days, I did my own tuning with LT1 edit. By altering the MAF table or the injector constant you can indeed really lean out or richen up the car, even in closed loop, all the way through the RPM range or even at specific places (using the MAF tables modified at specific grams/sec ranges).

I know theoretically the PCM compensates, but there appears to be a limit beyond which it can't recover.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
has anyone verified these milage increases? the DIC can be tampered with by modifying the injector tables for its display, therefor causing high or low numbers at will. I would definately verify miles driven vs. gallons to full and calculate it myself. even gaining 1-2mpg is difficult, let alone 5...
Before and after the tune my DIC REMAINS .8-1.0 gallons high in the calculation as compared to a hand calculation, which I do every time I fill up. I believe I factored that into my original post, however.

Not exactly sure where all the skepticism is coming from. I'm just sharing what my results are, I have no agenda here.

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I will say Vince is a sponsor at my forms (see signature). I paid the equivalent of full price for my tune, however. His sponsorship payment was due a couple weeks ago and we agreed to deduct the full price of the tune from what he owed me.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:33 PM

I am intersted in this if it can be verified

I am interested in this if it can be verified. Someone do an independent test with before and after on similar trips.
Then if it can ve verified I would like to know what all they do and how much it costs.
I bought my HHR for the sole purpose of saving money on gas. My one ton four dour dually was killing me on gas. If I could save 5 MPG on an already decent mileage I would be thrilled. Bruce
Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 AM

Chris, how is your mileage now?

Chris, How is your mileage now? I would like to know more about how well it worked and if you have made any other mods. I plan on doing the Trifecta tune to in addition to a few other mods. Thanks, Curly
Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM

Well just on my normal commute I'm up 2MPG on average (sometimes less, sometimes more depending on how bad traffic is, how hard I try to save gas, etc).
Old 09-19-2008, 07:57 AM

Don't lean your car out. EVER people with SS versions beware as more importantly
Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Don't lean your car out. EVER people with SS versions beware as more importantly
You could at least form a proper sentence. I agree that leaning out is not a good idea for forced induction engines.

But keep in mind here we're talking about low load, low RPM, part throttle MPG gains. I agree it would be a DISASTER to lean out WOT on a Turbo motor (or any motor for that matter), but remember as I mentioned before even the legendary Buick GN had a "lean burn" highway mode.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Seems that this isn't going anywhere.......
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM

My tune took me up close to 2 mpg also for my commutes. I have not been out for a trip as of yet and I have a Trifecta Tune and am also a Installer/Dealer for Vince.

Stick might pop in and give his impression of his Trifecta Tune installed over the weekend.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:07 AM

Mileage and performance can be increased

Mileage and performance can be increased with out leaning it out. There are many other variables other than fuel ratio such as timing advance that help.
It is never good to lean out a motor.

Quick Reply: MPG update -> After PCM tuning