Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

My take on getting better MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 PM

On a recent trip of about 260 miles I averaged 36.9 MPG. On the way home I took a longer route that is much more up and down in the mountains and averaged 34.1 MPG over about 310 miles.

I think it has everything to do with driving style. I still travel at the posted speed limits, just don't feel any need to get up to those limits nearly as fast as those who I always say are in a hurry to die. I've noticed that the vast majority travel above the posted limits, some considerably above.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM

Well here's my input...

Mechanical:
> tires at maximum inflation to reduce rolling resistance.
> well tuned engine (no-brainer)
> no unnecessary weight (it takes energy to move stuff - clean it out)
> don't run with the defrost on when it is not needed; this runs the A/C compressor.

Method:
> keep rpms reasonable
> avoid excessive time in lower gears (get to speed in a smooth and expedient manner)
> avoid brakes and plan ahead.
> drafting (it helps but be very careful); dont' think NASCAR - you don't have to tailgate to get most of the benefit. Even 100 ft behind a big rig can help substantially.
> slow down. As a rule of thumb, composite drag (profile, induced and parasitic) roughly doubles for every 10 mph over 60.

I feel like the car performs better when it is clean and waxed, but this is probably just psychological.

I've only had my HHR for about a week. I have been driving a crew cab Sierra and even for it's size, I was able to get between 19 and 20 mpg for combined city/highway by using these tricks. So far, I'm averaging around 30 with the HHR.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 PM

I still do not understand how anyone can get much over 30mpg going 70 or more... Maybe my car just sucks. Literally.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 PM
ecl

I dont know how but its possible. Im going to be adding a few eco mods to mine to up even more. check out ecomodders.com they have lots of info of course they do drive slower also but then again they are achieve big numbers not just 30s.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 AM

But people claim they drive 75-80 and get 35mpg...I just can't believe that. I couldn't get that going 60mph!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
But people claim they drive 75-80 and get 35mpg...I just can't believe that. I couldn't get that going 60mph!
You have an automatic, and they sap power and mileage. Still, methinks that some people may be embellishing their numbers. I've netted much higher, but it hasn't been while driving 75 - 80 mph. I have to earn those numbers.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman
You have an automatic, and they sap power and mileage. Still, methinks that some people may be embellishing their numbers. I've netted much higher, but it hasn't been while driving 75 - 80 mph. I have to earn those numbers.
Yeah, I'm thinking I have to go no faster than 60 with the cruise to start getting that... Heck, I'd probably have to drive 40-45!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ecl
I know ill probably hear crap about this one but I dont think the newer cars get all that better gas mileage than older cars. Sure some are the exception but over all I dont think so. I use to own a 86 ford bronco II that could get 20+ mpg and my dad is still driving an 90s grand am that gets better mileage than my HHR. They say we are getting better mpg but I dont buy it, I only got the car for its looks.
Agree with the poster about emissions - it's an important factor in the formula of power, fuel economy, and economic...er, economy.

But I just really, really doubt claims about mileage in older cars. I hear stories about this and I wonder how accurate the accounting really was. Did they do their division right, did they use the best way to calculate it? Or did they guess trying to estimate? And if so, did they use the right capacity for the fuel tank (I'm sure many thought it was bigger than it actually was), was their fuel gauge calibrated correctly (I know my S-10 wasn't... it rapidly used 'more' fuel as the tank went down!)?

All things being equal, today's cars are more efficient. But there's more saftey (weight), options (weight), and emissions controls. And I also wonder if old mileage calculations by people are correct.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM

I have a little over 7000 miles on my 08 HHR with 2.2 and the only thing that is not factory under the hood is the use of Royal Purple Oil 5-W-30 with a Fram Tough Guard Oil Filter and wondered what kind of MPG I would get on the interstate so I took three short trips of 80 miles round trip each just to see what the MPG would be. The first trip I set the cruise at 55 on the interstate without the air on and got 41.2 MPG even with all the Tennessee Hills. The second trip was on the same route with the air on and the cruise set again at 55 it still got 36.1 MPG. My last trip along the same route and the cruise now set on 70 with the air on it got 30.0 MPG. Around town I keep my RPMs as close to 2000 as possible and I am getting between 28 to 31 MPG out of each tank. I can’t imagine putting out the extra money for a Hybrid when this little station wagon will get that kind of gas mileage.

Last edited by decsr72256; 10-20-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Eric, never forget this is the internet.