Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Pure Gas, No Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
So, how do you even find out if a station has E10 or pure gas if it doesn't say on the pumps? Someone said that you can get it near marina's a lot of time without any ethanol in it...
From what I understand, certain states mandate 10% ethanol. It doesn't appear that Michigan mandates it, but I don't know that for sure. In Wisconsin, ethanol is not mandated. It is up to the gas station to decide whether or not they want to sell ethanol-free fuel. All the Shell stations I have been to here in Green Bay, WI contain no ethanol only in their V-Power 93 Octane fuel. Also, I think all of the Kwik Trip gas stations around here have Top Tier 91 octane fuel that does not contain any ethanol. A fair number of BP stations around here sell Premium fuel that contains no ethanol. But I don't know if it is the same for Michigan, it's a different state, so there' probably different circumstances. If fuel contains ethanol here in Wisconsin, it must say it on the pumps. They have stickers on the pump above the fuel grade number that say "CONTAINS UP TO 10% ETHANOL". Many times, when a station sells fuel that doesn't contain ethanol, they have a sticker above the fuel grade number that says "CONTAINS NO ETHANOL". I have also seen ethanol-free fuel being referred to as "Non-oxygenated Gas" sometimes. If you're unsure whether or not a gas station's fuel contains ethanol, you can always ask the attendant inside. They usually know 90% of the time I have asked. They are supposed to know anyway.

List of Station in Michigan That Sell Ethanol-free Fuel
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Ethanol Labeling Laws State-by-State
http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_gu...anol_laws.html

**If you'll notice, gas stations in Michigan are not required to label whether or not their fuel contains ethanol.

List of States That Mandate the Use of 10% Ethanol
http://www.ehow.com/list_6916672_sta...e-use-e10.html
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the links! I wasn't sure if Michigan mandated it or not, but I didn't think so. Of course, none of those stations listed are anywhere near me...looks like most are up north...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the links! I wasn't sure if Michigan mandated it or not, but I didn't think so. Of course, none of those stations listed are anywhere near me...looks like most are up north...
Maybe you could just ask at some of your local gas stations where you normally fuel up. Or check around. That's probably the only way you're going to know if it's not marked at all. That's what I have done in the past when I wasn't sure. Most of the time when I have asked, they were able to tell me whether or not it contained any ethanol. Although, there have been a couple of times for me when the employee working wasn't sure.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Or maybe you should just move north! ...... just kidding!

Last edited by goetylsd; 01-05-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
Or you maybe you should just move north! ...... just kidding!
Nooooo way! I'd rather have pure ethanol!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 PM

I doubt your old truck engine burns the fuel completely enough to really notice a difference between the 10 percent blend, and regular gasoline. I am willing to bet its just your mind playing tricks on you to justify paying more per gallon for higher octane rated fuel. Toss 100 octane in it and see. You shouldn't notice any increase in performance, unless you have hot spots in your combustion chamber causing pinging-in fact, it would run worse unless your ignition has been upgraded.

This is me assuming you haven't upped your compression ratio from a stock engine.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by nacademus
I doubt your old truck engine burns the fuel completely enough to really notice a difference between the 10 percent blend, and regular gasoline. I am willing to bet its just your mind playing tricks on you to justify paying more per gallon for higher octane rated fuel. Toss 100 octane in it and see. You shouldn't notice any increase in performance, unless you have hot spots in your combustion chamber causing pinging-in fact, it would run worse unless your ignition has been upgraded.

This is me assuming you haven't upped your compression ratio from a stock engine.
I have no idea what the compression ratio is... The engine is not original. My dad swapped the original 305 for an older 350 he had laying around.

And I'm pretty sure my mind isn't playing tricks, since I've tried it again and again over the past 6 years, and it simply runs better. It will stumble to keep running and try to stall, but with higher octane it doesn't.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM

....and they want to up it to E15........
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
....and they want to up it to E15........
Yes they do, for now.. But later what ? 20% I think if someone tested the blended gas it would already be higher that 10% in some cases..
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have no idea what the compression ratio is... The engine is not original. My dad swapped the original 305 for an older 350 he had laying around.

And I'm pretty sure my mind isn't playing tricks, since I've tried it again and again over the past 6 years, and it simply runs better. It will stumble to keep running and try to stall, but with higher octane it doesn't.
Eric- that old 350 likely has 8.5:1 C/R, Unless it was outta a Vette.

Quick Reply: Pure Gas, No Ethanol