Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Real World MPG improvements

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Hey curly?
You out there?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM

My HHR

My HHR is auto with the 2.2 and my mileage is average 23 in the city daily driving and about 30 on the highway @ 80MPH. The car will get 38 MPG @ 55 to 60 MPH.
Overall I am pleased with the performance and mileage but I know that opening up the intake and exhaust should help it even more.

To anyone who can get 36 MPG average with a stock HHR that is great! But what if you could make some improvements and get 41 MPG?

Certainly there are things as a driver that can do to help the gas mileage but there are mechanical things we can do to improve it even more.

The intake and exhaust on factory cars is very restrictive to make the cars quiet and meet all regulations. There is a very good reason all of the race cars do not have mufflers and have big intakes.

If you can open up the exhaust and intake and get the fuel mixture right then your performance AND mileage will improve (if you keep your foot out of it)

My question is how much and what is the most cost effective things to do.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
My HHR is auto with the 2.2 and my mileage is average 23 in the city daily driving and about 30 on the highway @ 80MPH. The car will get 38 MPG @ 55 to 60 MPH.
Overall I am pleased with the performance and mileage but I know that opening up the intake and exhaust should help it even more.

To anyone who can get 36 MPG average with a stock HHR that is great! But what if you could make some improvements and get 41 MPG?

Certainly there are things as a driver that can do to help the gas mileage but there are mechanical things we can do to improve it even more.

The intake and exhaust on factory cars is very restrictive to make the cars quiet and meet all regulations. There is a very good reason all of the race cars do not have mufflers and have big intakes.

If you can open up the exhaust and intake and get the fuel mixture right then your performance AND mileage will improve (if you keep your foot out of it)

My question is how much and what is the most cost effective things to do.
I'm all for 41 mpg, but that is a big jump. A couple of manufactures have exhausts and intakes for HHR's, (all engines i think). Ask someone with both upgrades their opinion.
Easy on the gas and easy on the brake in the city my friend, you'll get 5 mpg easy that way. No $300 intakes or $700 exhausts required. Im sure that the looks and sound has it's own dollar value that I can't put a number on :)
Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM

The intake and exhaust on factory cars is very restrictive to make the cars quiet and meet all regulations. .............

Oh, so very FALSE statement!!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
Oh, so very FALSE statement!!
I was being nice considering that he compared me to a "grandma" drivin 43 in the centerlane in the cobalt forum...lol All because I hypermile. Why is it always buy this buy that, bolt on this bolt on that to solve everything. What about upgrading/bolting-on somewhere between the steering wheel and the drivers seat?? I drive minimum the posted limit in the city, and much faster downhill...lol And I easily muster 28-29. No hypermile tricks. Just attentive driving. Add a bag of tricks and you get 33-35mpg. If you have mastered that....then throw some money at mods?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 PM

My Bad! I guess the HHR is perfect and no room for improvement.

"I'm all for 41 mpg, but that is a big jump. A couple of manufactures have exhausts and intakes for HHR's, (all engines i think). Ask someone with both upgrades their opinion.
Easy on the gas and easy on the brake in the city my friend, you'll get 5 mpg easy that way. No $300 intakes or $700 exhausts required. Im sure that the looks and sound has it's own dollar value that I can't put a number on :)"

That is the whole thread here is I am asking those with the upgrades their opinions.
I definatly agree there is 5 MPG and more from driving technique but there is also some from mechanical improvements. That is what I am asking, not how to drive. I want my car to get the best MPG it can, What is the problem with that?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 AM

"I'm all for 41 mpg, but that is a big jump. A couple of manufactures have exhausts and intakes for HHR's, (all engines i think). Ask someone with both upgrades their opinion.
Easy on the gas and easy on the brake in the city my friend, you'll get 5 mpg easy that way. No $300 intakes or $700 exhausts required. Im sure that the looks and sound has it's own dollar value that I can't put a number on :)"

That is the whole thread here is I am asking those with the upgrades their opinions.
I definatly agree there is 5 MPG and more from driving technique but there is also some from mechanical improvements. That is what I am asking, not how to drive. I want my car to get the best MPG it can, What is the problem with that?
Nothin at all is wrong. Please...anyone...help curly out here and post your experience with intake and/or exhausts.

My only problem is that you did sorta make fun of me (albiet in the cobalt forum) and I wanted to make sure you understood hypermiling is probably the best mileage "upgrade" you can add to your car. I don't know of any mileage upgrade that wil pay itself back (gas saved vs upgrade cost) in less than 2 years. Let's say you get 25mpg overall and 17,500 miles a year. 700 gallons of gas will cost you $2800. If an upgrade will net 1-2mpg (lets say 1.5mpg) for $300, it will pay itself off after 2 years. By year 5 you will have saved $500, thats $8.33 a month for 60 months? That is IF..and this is the biggie IF it works.

So my feeling on these types of upgrades isn't so much they are not worth...it's just that you better get an apperance upgrade (cool looking color matched aluminum tube, or shiny stainless pipes with a throaty sound) in addition to your $8.33 a month savings.

You can do the math on hypermiling from 25mpg up to 30mpg, $467 saved in the first year, $2335 after...almost $40 a month saved. I managed to make 36 overall for an entire tank driving my normal routes and no extended highway (37mph and 11.6 mile trips) no cruise and 87 octane. I'm not saying that you should get that extreme with it....but it is possible.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM

I am not making fun of you or anyone on any forum

I am not making fun of you or anyone on any forum. I just want better mileage from my car and not satifiied to say the car is perfect so work on my driving skills. My question is how to improve the car, driver is a whole different deal. And I am not worried abut how long it takes to get my money back on this. I bought this car, paid cash for it in full and really like it and will keep it for many years. I know saving weight will help but I am not pulling out the interior or anything sillly like that. I know there are mileage improvements from driver AND vehicle and vehicle is the question today.
What ever I do to this will pay for itself many times over long before I get rid of it. The car (truck, crossover, whatever) will get better performance, mileage, sound better and be more fun to drive. I think that is more than reason enough.

There are things I learned from my many years of dragracing cars. Some little things like just putting the factory front spoiler on and lowering car a few inches picks up several miles per hour in the 1/4 mile. That means it takes LESS horsepower to move the car.
When I first started racing it I had factory style exhaust. Then I went to a full 3 inch system and it went much faster. Then I removed exhaust and it picked up much more. I eventually ended up with the best comprimize for me with a huge 4 inch muffler system that was very short and did not even go back to axles. That allowed very good performance and cut down the noise (some!)
The right performance mods will help mileage and performance providing you do not put your foot in it and more power will be there if you need it.
I know lowering it will help the mileage some, it may be too small to notice or be worth anything but if it takes less horespower to move the vehicle at speed it takes less gas to.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 AM

I've noticed some decrease in mpg lately. I'm thinking that just about all the gas I can purchase has 10% or less ethanol content. I know ethanol produces less energy per gallon. Has anyone done any study on the effect of the 10% blend vs 100% gas? I use to routinely get 30+ mpg, but it seems that now I'm in the 27 mpg range. (10% lower mpg)
Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 AM

I am not making fun of you or anyone on any forum. I just want better mileage from my car and not satifiied to say the car is perfect so work on my driving skills. My question is how to improve the car, driver is a whole different deal. And I am not worried abut how long it takes to get my money back on this. I bought this car, paid cash for it in full and really like it and will keep it for many years. I know saving weight will help but I am not pulling out the interior or anything sillly like that. I know there are mileage improvements from driver AND vehicle and vehicle is the question today.
What ever I do to this will pay for itself many times over long before I get rid of it. The car (truck, crossover, whatever) will get better performance, mileage, sound better and be more fun to drive. I think that is more than reason enough.

There are things I learned from my many years of dragracing cars. Some little things like just putting the factory front spoiler on and lowering car a few inches picks up several miles per hour in the 1/4 mile. That means it takes LESS horsepower to move the car.
When I first started racing it I had factory style exhaust. Then I went to a full 3 inch system and it went much faster. Then I removed exhaust and it picked up much more. I eventually ended up with the best comprimize for me with a huge 4 inch muffler system that was very short and did not even go back to axles. That allowed very good performance and cut down the noise (some!)
The right performance mods will help mileage and performance providing you do not put your foot in it and more power will be there if you need it.
I know lowering it will help the mileage some, it may be too small to notice or be worth anything but if it takes less horespower to move the vehicle at speed it takes less gas to.
Well others here will be able to help you :) I'd try reposting this question rebadged as a "top speed/moe power/drag racing" thread, an you might get an answer if no one has pm'd you yet. Hypermiling is NO WAY to get alot of reponses.

Quick Reply: Real World MPG improvements