Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

So Maybe My MPG Isn't That Bad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Thumbs up So Maybe My MPG Isn't That Bad...

Today I went out to take some pictures up in the thumb (it's a Michigan term...) Anyways, it was about 40 miles each way, so obviously a total of 80 miles today. I reset the DIC as I was leaving town, once I got up to 55mph. I drove about 55 the whole way, with the cruise set. It was on country roads and state highways, so only a few stops and one small city (Caro, MI). By the time I got to my destination, this was what I saw:

I was completely astonished the entire way, with it being that high. Now, one thing...I didn't have the air on for most of the way, so I don't know if that did anything, and I also have a slight, and I mean slight blend of fuel. I have 3/4 regular 87, and 1/4 premium 93.

By the time I got home (about 80 miles) this is what it looked like:

Needless to say, I was quite impressed!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM

it does pretty good.

Will never see those numbers down here, my town is a MPG killer. Short distances, 25-40mph, stop and go, lights everywhere, and i giant freakin hill.

Mine is usually better when i am up in Mich though. Or anywhere I can just get out of town. I think I got 30mpg last time coming home, and that is doing between 75-80 on the e-way.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Regarding the A/C usage. In my tracking of the MPG, at 70 mph, with the A/C on, I lose
only 1/2 MPG....

Cajun / Al
Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun
Regarding the A/C usage. In my tracking of the MPG, at 70 mph, with the A/C on, I lose
only 1/2 MPG....

Cajun / Al
Yeah, I didn't really think it was a whole lot.... Not worth sweating it out, that's for sure!

I heard once that the A/C runs regardless of it being on or not in the car, but it turns on at a certain temperature. At least I know my Lumina does that...it says right in the owners manual.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 PM

That is good.....I just went to beach and put over 1000 miles on the HHR and averaged 32.8 with air on and driving in the mountains of wv too. Man I love the mileage on these!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 AM

I took a freeway trip today and averaged 34.2 and didn't see much of a difference with the a/c or without the a/c. Someone told me that the new cars are made to run effenciently with the a/c....
Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 AM

So yesterday I drove from Frankenmuth to Novi (about a little over an hour away) and I managed to get 33mpg going 70 (according to the DIC) and on the way home it had an overall trip total of 32mpg. Not bad!!

I'm going to Troy (about the same distance) today, so we'll see what I get. I put seafoam in my tank, and I'm at the half mark now....hopefully that might be helping!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM

So today after going to Troy and back, I averaged about 30.5-31. That included 4 people in the car as well, which usually I only have me and one other person...so I did have some extra weight. I ran my tank almost empty (1.5 gallons left) so hopefully I used up all my old gas and seafoam. Once I got down to the red line I could smell gasoline...so I'm pretty sure I was using some bad/old gas. Filled it up, so we'll see what she gets now on my next expressway trip. Overall, I'm very impressed! I was hoping the HHR would do better than my Lumina, but overall it seems about the same. But hey, I'm not complaining!!! Besides, I bought the HHR for the style, not the mileage....that's just a bonus!!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 PM

In the pics of your gauges, what is the light the looks like a plus sign inside a gear? Is it a shift indicator for the manuals or what?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by txbass06
In the pics of your gauges, what is the light the looks like a plus sign inside a gear? Is it a shift indicator for the manuals or what?
Yes, but supposedly it never lights up, even on manuals. My HHR is an auto, but I'm guessing all, or at least most of them have it...since mine does, and like I said, it isn't manual. But I've heard people with manuals claim they've never seen it light up.