Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Is The Woolly Worm Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Is The Woolly Worm Needed?

Ok, so like the title says, is the woolly worm on the intake needed? I mean, my truck just has the air cleaner right on top of the engine and it sucks in that air. It used to have a plastic one that ran to the front, but it doesn't anymore and it's still fine. What will happen if I take this off the HHR? I know someone said it increases MPGs and makes it a little louder, but does it have negatives effects? I know someone said too that it is needed more in the summer. Is this true?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 AM

The air inside the engine compartment is hotter and less dense, so power is reduced slightly when it is sucked into the engine and burned. The wooly worm sucks in denser cold air from behind the fender, so you get more of a bang during combustion.
Ever hear of a "cold air intake" or CAI? Well, youve got one.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM

I doubt there would be any improvement without, not sure how much loss in performance/mileage without it but it's that "woolly worm" that makes the stock system a CAI.... also being "woolly" it does a little bit of pre-filtering..... if you look down through it you'll note little bits of leaves and gunk (dead bugs too) that don't get all the way to the filter and clog stuff up...... Best to leave it in place, repair or replace if damaged.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Taking off the tube that goes from the fender to the air cleaner housing will only let the engine suck in hot air from the engine bay, not the cooler air from the fender. I dont know if it would create any decrease or increase in power or mileage.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
ecl

it should increase your mileage by a little bit but not much. Just search Warm air intakes and you should find a few forums for eco moding that would explain it a little more.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Well I remember someone on here mentioned that they got slightly better mpgs with it off...but I can't remember who said that...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Well I remember someone on here mentioned that they got slightly better mpgs with it off...but I can't remember who said that...
Your truck doesn't have 10.0:1 Compression Ratio, like your 2.2 either..

More like 8.0:1

You do your thing, I'm sticking to my OEM CAI, w/K&N
Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Keep the "wooly worm"!!

Taking it off will result in about a 5% loss in HP.

Gas mileage will NOT change any, as the hotter air has less density and the computer will compensate. Under normal cruise conditions, the throttle will be opened a "little" more due to that and the demands for the necessary power to maintain cruise speed. Bottom line. in the end, other than loosing some power, it will make NO difference.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:16 PM

The wooley will not change milage from a restriction point.....removing it will only suck air from the bay area....though i dont wholey agree on it being that hot as when the vehicle is moving so is the air and the heat is behind the motor with the air exiting to the rear.........I think a thermocouple ie needed and in real life conditions not a dyno.....air does funny things with slight changes...
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM

On my car, I have noticed that it is very sensitive to changes in temperature outside. If it is hot, it feels sluggish down low. If it is cold outside, it'll spin the front tires easily. That said, I am doing everything I can to get colder air into the engine, so my wooly worm is staying....and will be replaced if it wears out or tears. It is currently feeding a GMPP intake. God Bless, Marc

Quick Reply: Is The Woolly Worm Needed?