General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

09 hhr

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:46 PM

09 hhr

Went out to look at a new 09 HHR LT1 Silver Ice that I was told was available at a dealer about 40 miles north. They bring out a loaded LT2, sun roof, leather, ruuning boards etc. Stuff I didn't want.

I knew that their inventory didn't have any listed, but I was interested in a new HHR.

I asked why did I drive 40 miles to look at a car that I wasn't interested in as I had specified in e-mail to the dealer exactly what I wanted.

So they try to locate one nearby, but are unable to find any. So we talked about ordering one, just the way I wanted. They said they would knock off $750 from the sticker price which was $23K. We never talked about trade-in, but were thinking of maybe $5K for a three year old car that had a $19+K sticker.

I said that that was at least $6K more than I was willing to pay. They cried about not making any money on the car. How much do they make by not selling any car?

The only options I wanted was the 2.4L engine, ($650) roof rails ($150) and chome package minus the chrome wheels. ($950-$800 for chrome wheels) Just the stock wheels only: Silver Ice painted wheels.

I just replaced the wiper blades, and will be looking for tires in the next 5000 miles or so. With 46K miles on the clock, these are the first of the replacement items I have needed.

This same dealer lost the deal when I found my 06 at another dealer. I don't know how they remain in business.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 AM

Wink

YIKES.... They said they would knock off $750 from the sticker price which was $23K. Did they offer you some KY Jelly as a parting gift with that great deal
Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM

They said the 06 was worth $6K. Which means the car is worth 26% of the original sticker price to them after three years. I spoke to other who have dealt with this dealer and he is known as a bait and switch dealer and the sales manager kept telling me they weren't a bait and switch dealer while I was in discussion of why I would drive all that way for a non existent car. They already know their reputation.

My opinions of car salesmen han't changed much in forty years.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM

Salesmen are no better or worse than Doctors or anything else. There are good and bad.

When I bought my moms Malibu the first dealer had an ad for a loaded LTZ that stickered at around $30K advertised in the paper for $23K. Hmmm Sounded like a good deal. Well once we got there they gave us a price of $27K including her trade in of a Lesabre.

I pulled out the paper and asked what happened to this price. He we had to qualify for that if we had a employee discount and we had a a non GM car in the family and about 3 more programs they did not list in the advertisment.

I told im lets go to My dealer and by a car as they did not play games on my HHR.

We got there spoke to my salesman. The car she liked was a fully loaded less sunroof LT on the showroom floor. She said she could drive one of the others but he said if that is the one you like you need to drive that one. They got it out of the showroom [I asked if they could get the ZR-1 nect to it out too LOL].

He said here take it and see me in a couple hours.

I let her drive it and she loved it. The sticker was near $27K and I was hping to get it to $21K. We came back and got a price of $20,300. I then asked about GM card money and took another $1,000 off of that by just adding her name to my GM card.

The main differance between this car and the LTZ is a power right seat, Six disc changer, sun roof [she could have but did not want], and a rear window shade. The did come with the 3.6 V6 six speed package that also included the 18 inch wheels.

Either way we came away with a car nearly the same as the other and came out for a lot less than the other one would have. The good part is I did not have to even work hard to get the price I felt was fair.

Darrin my salesman never BS me never promised anything he could not do and there was no pressure what so ever. He did not play the I am working with managment game or any of the other old tactics. He just got me a good price and one I knew was a good deal. I respected that.

Also the same dealer is the one I had install my stage kit. they quoted 1.2 hours and held to it even though it took longer.

Anyway I later was driving the new Malibu and as I passed the other dealer the crooked saleman was out front to I tooted the horn and gave him a big wave.

I know Darrin is not the norm for many salespeople but there are good ones out there. I usally will walk away as I know I will find one I like else where. I usally do. Even if they don't have the car I want they will get it. My last two were pick up cars from other dealers as I made my deal and then found the car.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 PM

If you're looking for a deal go to carsdirect.com and they'll hook you up with a no-nonsense, high-volume dealer who's ready to move a unit. Give them basic must-have options and let them find one. I originally only wanted a 2LT few things and was hoping to get it for $22k.

I wound up with a 2LT half-panel with leather, black chrome, USB radio, roof rack, automatic and drove it off the lot for $6,230 less than if I had paid sticker.

And BTW, I did the whole deal via e-mail. Lots of time to check numbers, options and I was never on their turf. In fact, the salesman drove 80 miles round trip to pick me up and take me to the dealership to pick it up... Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary, NC.

All things considered, I had FUN and I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat... no pun intended
Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 AM

My cousin lives in Raleigh and had data from Hendrick which was about a $6000 discount. However the Florida dealer said that price discount was impossible. I'd like to have a "close by" dealer, so that I don't get too much hassel if I need to go for warrenty related problems. I know that all dealers should do warrenty work, but ....
Old 04-20-2009, 05:38 AM

Shop around and also I have not always bought local and the local dealers have never given me any problems warranty.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
My cousin lives in Raleigh and had data from Hendrick which was about a $6000 discount. However the Florida dealer said that price discount was impossible. I'd like to have a "close by" dealer, so that I don't get too much hassel if I need to go for warrenty related problems. I know that all dealers should do warrenty work, but ....
Just try carsdirect.com. The service is free and dealers register with them so it's not like they don't know the place exists. They will put you in touch with a LOCAL volume dealer.

BTW, dealers are scrambling for every penny. They make money on warranty work and don't give one fig where you bought the car. I had to have the rust turned off my rotors so I took it to the local dealer and they treated me like gold.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 AM

I've actually had very good luck buying a car through Costco. We bought our STi that way. Local dealer didn't even have one in stock but found us one and had it transported in all for the agreed on price through Costco.