General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

09 TPMS on aftermarket rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:29 PM

09 TPMS on aftermarket rims

Im almost sure this has been brought up and after looking through thde threads, i have gone crosseyed. But my question is this. I just bought an 09 Panel. It has the TPMS system. I just purchased some 18" ADR's and 225/40/18 tires which are in shipping now. I totally spaced the fact that the vehicle has the TPMS system. Can i put the sensors off my stock wheels on the aftermarket rim? Ive seen threads where it says this "will work". But, most PSI ratings on aftermarket low profile tires are usually 44PSI as compared to 32-35PSI on stock tires. If i use the factory sensors, is this gonna cause a problem? Ive heard people talk about taking it into GM and having the sensros recalibrated but this is usually just for the sensors to be "read" by the vehicle computer. Anybody enountered this problem before?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 PM

I'm no expert, but I don't think you will have any problems mounting them on any aftermarket wheel. At least, this is what I have read here and on other forums.

As far as the higher PSI rating, I just had a nail stuck in my side wall of my tire, I took it to a shop and of course they said that they could not plug the tire (they left the nail in). What they did do for me was to inflate the tire to around 45 PSI so I could get home before the tire went flat. I monitored the tire PSI all the way home, it was reading 45 to 47 PSI, so I believe the sensors do not have to be re-calibrated for the higher PSI of the low profile tires.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM

I'm no expert either, but I bought an 08SS in May and it came stock with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's. The tire size is P225/45R 18. The wheels are the stock 18" X 7.5". While the tires shoe a maximum psi of 44, the sticker on the door jam says the tires should be inflated to 32 psi. My guess is that your sensors will work, but your tire dealer should be ablle to give you the honest scoop.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 AM

my 2008 1LT has visible rubber valve stems (with TPMS sensors), getting the rubber part out in one piece would be a feat. (the older style - like on newer Toyotas) just unbolt, but I haven't taken the rubber jobs out. From what I understand, they're available at the dealers parts counter, so once they're in, you're good to go. if the tires are already mounted on the rim, it's going to be a royal pain in the backside to get the 40s off the rim, so don't be too upset if the inside of the rims have scuffing from the tire dismounting equipment. Another thing you're going to want to do is when they take the sensors out of the factory rims, they "should" go back on the same corner of the vehicle they came off (left front/right rear/etc) so you don't have to re-learn the sensors.
as far as plugging a tire with a nail in the sidewall, you really shouldn't do it, the sidewall construction isn't anything close to as durable as the tread surface, and when your tire rips apart because it was improperly repaired becomes a BIG liability. No respectable shop will even offer to fix it
Too bad the Michelins are probably the most expensive tire to put on the car, but if you don't have a lot of miles on it, you can get away with only buying one tire (if there's less than 9/32" of tread left, its recommended to replace both tires on the axle, expecially with traction control and/or ABS)
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 PM

I ended up taking it to Discount Tire and they swapped out the sensors. THey have to use "rebuild" kits for them when they remove them, so it ended up costing me $92.00 to have them "rebuilt" and installed on my 18's... but i sold my stocks that night to an individual for $400..so i made out pretty dang good...
Old 09-09-2008, 04:03 AM

I also had all four of my sensors upgraded (rebuild kit) at Discount tire. I went from the stock "steel" wheels to the OEM alloy wheels. All four only cost me $39.95 in addition to the mounting and balancing charges for the wheels and tires.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 AM

I had the sensors taken off my stock wheels and placed on my 20's which are rated @ 44psi. I got the low air warning @ around 28psi from a nail so they are good to go for me in my book. I had the m rotated once and all I had 2 do is recalibrate them which isn't much time at all.

I have a question now that this topic arose. Since my 20's are rated for 44psi is that what I should be running? The place where I got my wheels from said to run them at 35psi...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM

the pressure on the sidewall (44 psi) is the maximum you want to put in the tires. I'll bet the "official recommendation" is still 32, but I know a ton of folks who put 35 in for better fuel economy.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM

The sidewall air pressure is for the maximum that the tire can carry load wise. If you have a heavy load add some air but only up to the max that is on the side of the tire. If you run the tire ar max air pressure all the time you may wear the center tread out first. The faster you go the tire will balloon a little and cause it to do that.