General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2007 2.2 5 speed to 2009 2.4 flex fuel swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Sell whatever you have, and get an HHR SS.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Sell whatever you have, and get an HHR SS.
Yes,I understand this would be the practical route for most.
And I would love to have an SS if that was a practical option for me financially but im on very limited income with dismal credit so that is not something I can do.

Further more,this 2007 is sentimental for many personal reasons.
I also have already done other body and suspension and structural modifications that allow me to take it off road,tow and haul for work,camping and personal hobbies.
Its beat up,its well worn,and looks ridiculous to many but its structural sound and its a mechanical personal extension of myself that I bought brand new.
And its the only car I bought brand new out of the 100+ vehicles I have owned.

As corny or eye roll inducing as it sounds to most ppl my 2007 is like family,and I would live in (And have) before I sell or trade it off.
Its not going anywhere,its not getting traded off and its not going to be replaced.

I am merely looking for advice from those that understand and have the knowledge of the best engine choice to use to add more power,more torque in a reliable for daily use in the most cost efficient manner possible.

I understand that's hard for some people to grasp,but it is what it is.

If those that know the best option for me to go in my particular situation would humor me,I would really appreciate their advise on what to do.
what im "not" looking for is negative remarks or others opinions telling me to trade off a car I happen to love when there is a way to just put another engine in it to do what I would like to do.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Administrator

I just sold my baby, I understand your motives.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Wow - guys lets see some encouragement here. He asked for advice and from what I could see, the advice for the better part is spot on - ië: don't do it!!!!

But, since he doesn't want to hear any negative remarks or other opinions - well sure just swap a 2.0 out of a Cobalt and either do it with the SC installed or do it at a later date.
All it will take is time, a whole lot of time, a few $'s, well actually a lot of $'s, and if you get it running it will be an awesome ride. However the chance of getting it running,
being you don't have access to some of the fancy electronic tools, like the scan tool, is probably pretty slim.

But go for it. Please keep us posted on the progress.

and wow - owning 100+ cars so far and being only 31 - well that is really some accomplishment.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Banned

is the 09 a 5spd or auto ? if auto forget it , if u are gone use the 5spd , just a thought GL
Old 10-05-2019, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

the 2009 is apparently an auto.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Administrator

There you go , hellshotrod knows his HHR stuff, he’s worked on over 300 HHR’s .
Old 10-05-2019, 11:23 AM

But that is not supportive. And quite negative.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by hellshotrod
is the 09 a 5spd or auto ? if auto forget it , if u are gone use the 5spd , just a thought GL
The 2009 is an auto. I've already decided to let it go and find another donor vehicle more compatible to what I want with less hassle.
Still trying to figure out what that is.

I'm now leaning more towards getting a 2007 2.4 donor and swapping that with a 2007 manual 2.4 ECM and then doing the complete bolt on SC kit at a later date when its more financially feasible.
The car still runs and drives fine,its just tired and the engine has premature wear due to oil starvation.
The engine that's currently in it has had a ton of premature wear due to excess RVT getting in the engine oil galleys from a friend who was "attempting" to help me by doing a clutch swap and oil pan gasket when I was letting him use the car. He also rear ended someone in it and tried to fix that himself too without telling me like I wouldn't notice.
Unfortunately his intended help caused alot of damage. It was done without my permission and really upset me a great deal.
I'm meticulous about the work I do and prefer to do it all myself on this car.
But it is what it is and moving on from it I just have to fix the damage done.
I just want more power and torque for when I tow and going through mountains,and to compensate for the bigger tires ect,ect.
Hence the desired upgrades.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Wow - guys lets see some encouragement here. He asked for advice and from what I could see, the advice for the better part is spot on - ië: don't do it!!!!

But, since he doesn't want to hear any negative remarks or other opinions - well sure just swap a 2.0 out of a Cobalt and either do it with the SC installed or do it at a later date.
All it will take is time, a whole lot of time, a few $'s, well actually a lot of $'s, and if you get it running it will be an awesome ride. However the chance of getting it running,
being you don't have access to some of the fancy electronic tools, like the scan tool, is probably pretty slim.

But go for it. Please keep us posted on the progress.

and wow - owning 100+ cars so far and being only 31 - well that is really some accomplishment.
Im in my 40's
Not exactly sure why 31 comes up.
Finding a 2007 2.4 and a 2007 2.4 ECM for a manual and getting something like a trifecta tune or similar seems to be the route im leaning to for now and the complete bolt on SC kit at a later date.
I don't really want to mess with issues from a 2006 and its my understanding 2007 seems to be unique in certain things about the ECM and programming.
I guess ill find out :3

Quick Reply: 2007 2.2 5 speed to 2009 2.4 flex fuel swap