General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2010 model problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by cowdog
I bought my HHR on Cinco de Mayo!

I've already put 1163 miles on it, I drive a lot. No problems at all so far, I'm rather surprised to be honest.

I do notice the dash lights don't come on until it is really kinda dark, I'd program them to turn on my headlamps and have dash lights sooner if I could. Anyway, that's the way the vehicle is made, not something broken.

I think my first tank of gas only averaged 27mpg. Now I seem to be averaging 31 after 3 tanks. I notice the gas gauge isn't really accurate, not that any gas gauge is, I just haven't gotten used to it. I'd like to know if the car is REALLY out of gas when the gauge hits the bottom mark, or if the needle extends below the line before it runs out. I haven't wanted to find out by trial and error hehe.

You on the coast? 27mpg is a pipe dream at altitude. I'm around 22mpg city at 5000ft which is good
Old 05-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Yes, that is what is happening on mine as well, when the gas gauge gets to the bottom line I filled it, taking 13.8 gals once and then 14.05 the second.

I've noticed I can improve gas mileage in town quite a bit by keeping the foot OFF the accelerator and coasting a lot. Of course red lights are always the toughest average, zero. I like the gearing in the tranny, the car coasts a good long time like big American cars of yesterday -- but it takes a much different driving style than most are used to for the best mileage. Think limo, slow and easy.