General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

3 door lock don't work and key fob doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:47 AM

3 door lock don't work and key fob doesn't work

2008 HHR LT - 3 door locks all stopped working at the same time with interior doom lights and auto headlights not shutting off. GM has already replaced the Recall wiring harness but I feel the Body Control Module BCM maybe the cause of all of this happening at once. Can't even lock the doors because door key often doesn't work.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:16 AM

Try disconnecting the battery for awhile. It will some times reboot the body controller.

If this fixes it you may want to get the battery checked. Low voltage can cause the controllers to lock up.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Administrator

X2 for Lucky's suggestion!! disconnect the negative terminal at the battery in the back spare tire location for 30 minutes and let us know!!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

x3 - and if the door key does not work, have you tried lubing the door lock key hole itself with a graphite spray (or even WD40)? They often get neglected as the door lock very seldom gets used via the key.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Technical Moderator

What wiring harness recall? That's news to me.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Based on the OP's other 2 posts, I doubt he'll return to this thread either.

Hope he proves me wrong.

*** donbrew. I ask about that wiring harness before. Never got an answer.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Based on the OP's other 2 posts, I doubt he'll return to this thread either.

Hope he proves me wrong.

*** donbrew. I ask about that wiring harness before. Never got an answer.
This is the wisdom gained from experience.

I, for one, appreciate you guys that moderate this place. It's tough trying to help someone who either doesn't provide enough info, or provides info that doesn't make sense (at first - cutting them slack). Thanks guys - for trying, and usually being patient. Patience is not something that comes naturally here... So, I am respecting you for doing something I could probably not do.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Yeah, some other members have posted a question or issue. We have responded, and then the OP comes back all snarky, so it does happen. But these suggestions are from experienced HHR owners, and are just that basis point suggestions!
The Mods are very patient and my hat is off to them !
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 PM

When my ignition recall was done, the new key didn't work in the door. It was determined by the dealer that the door lock was "worn". I had to get a new door lock cylinder. Still trying to figure out how the door lock was "worn" as I used the key fob to open the door 99.9% of the time.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Old Lar - did you read the comments after your previous post about that situation with your door lock? Several posters suspected that the dealer ripped you off after installing the ignition recall, but instead of matching the ignition cylinder and keys to your existing key set - you got the wrong parts. (the new keys are supposed to match the current keys - ie: matched to your VIN).

On an aside, I just received my confirmation letter from GM Canada about the successful install of the ignition recall - and they mentioned that there is a free replacement key program via any GM dealer, for the life of the vehicle. Not sure if it's the same replacement program in the USA.

Quick Reply: 3 door lock don't work and key fob doesn't work