General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

3M tape?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 PM

3M tape?

I was getting ready to install my aftermarket spoiler with 3M tape and noticed in the instructions they suggest using a 3M cleaner for the painted surface and a 3M adhesion promoter before applying the tape. All I was planning on doing was to clean each surface with alcohol then stick it on. Sounds to me like 3M is wanting to sell more stuff but on the other hand, I don't want the spoiler flying off at 80 MPH either. I did get the good 3M tape from a body shop supply house and they didn't mention anything about any of the other stuff. Anyone got experience with this tape?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:18 PM

The promoter makes a BIG difference. You should be able to get some form you local auto parts store. Come in bev-nap style pouches. One goes a long way!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 PM

Better safe than sorry Lee. I picked some up from NAPA for $1.69, but they had to get it from their warehouse, as they did not have it in stock at the store.

Check out THIS site. This is what the packet I bought looks like. They are only $.69 there, but then you would have to wait and also pay shipping.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:24 PM

For a spoiler I think I'd do as they suggest.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:52 PM

Partially hijacking this thread

Speaking of 3M tape........does anyone have the 3M part number for the tape everyone is using to attach the metal scroll lettering to their hoods?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:04 PM

Alcohol tends to leave it's own film behind, it's a great cleaner but I would recommend using an adhesive promoter to clean away the alcohol film. 3M would like you to buy theirs, but any promoter will do the job. I usually use brake clean on a cloth to clean a surface instead of alcohol, then use an adhesive promoter. I've never had a spoiler come off yet....crossing fingers...LOL
Old 08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Deceased

you can get the tape in 1/2 inch and 1 inch widths at any of the auto parts stores. comes in a small and large roll. large roll is much better for the money and if you keep it cool, it lasts a while.

you will find it in the pinstripe accessory section usually.

this is dark grey w red backing. looks like a big red roll
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by cj krause
you can get the tape in 1/2 inch and 1 inch widths at any of the auto parts stores. comes in a small and large roll. large roll is much better for the money and if you keep it cool, it lasts a while.

you will find it in the pinstripe accessory section usually.

this is dark grey w red backing. looks like a big red roll
cj, I don't think he has a problem getting the tape. The issue here is adhesion and prep work.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Speaking of 3M tape........does anyone have the 3M part number for the tape everyone is using to attach the metal scroll lettering to their hoods?
it was for this post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Here's what I used... 2-sided 3M tape.
(I can NEVER!! get pic's to show in this forum... must need to be a premimum member...? I downloaded the pic titled *3M Tape* to the "Other HHR's" gallery.)

I used this for my chrome 'Chevrolet' scripting on the back of my HHR. I prepped the removed the OEM letters, prepped/cleaned the surface, flipped the emblem over and ground off the posts, stuck the tape to the emblem and pressed it on well*. I then used an exacto knife to 'cut' the tape out of/around the scripting (while still upside down).
Once complete - removed film to expose sticky that'd adhere to the vehicle... applied!

You can purchase this tape from any autoparts store throughout the country.

Hope this helps...

*Note, depending on where mounting, that the emblem 'may' need some slight bending (or arc) to accommodate curvature of the body panel. Do this ever so slowly/lightly to avoid cracking the chrome finish.

Quick Reply: 3M tape?