General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Aftermarket car alarm install......???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Aftermarket car alarm install......???

Well, I am installing an aftermarket Black Widow car alarm on my 2007 HHR.

.....pretty much got it all going, but there are two things I am having difficulty with.

#1 is the keyless entry feature. I can't get the doors to unlock nor lock with the alarm remote button.

and

#2........With the alarm ON, only the drivers door will trigger the alarm when it is opened. When the alarm is ON, I can softly open all the other doors without triggering the alarm.

Auto lock when alarm is activated requires a double pulse command from the alarm. I got that, but still nothing happens with the lock. I found a grey/black wire on the fuse/relay panel (front passenger side of center console)....I have the "auto arming" negative ground wire coming out of the alarm connected to it and it works. By that I mean, CLOSE DRIVERS DOOR AND THE ALARM ARMS ITSELF AUTOMATICALLY........OPEN DRIVERS DOOR AND THE ALARM IS TRIGGERED............Ok. Good. BUT, with the other doors, nothing happens.

Am I missing some thing here?

I purchased some mid 80's door jamb switches. These are the basic 'negative ground' pin type switches installed in millions of GM cars/trucks for decades. I'm thinking about just drilling holes and installing these things in each door jamb and then hooking them up to the alarms negative ground trigger wire. Doing this would solve my auto arming and door opening problem......No?

How can I go about getting the auto locks to operate in conjunction with the alarm. Someone told me it's not possible.

The original remote to the original Chevy anti theft system is nonfunctionable/nonrepairable.

I could remove the Black Widow alarm and install an AutoPage Model #255a security system if it would make the locks work. Both alarms (basically) do the same things, but I think the polarities are reversable on with the AutoPage alarm.

Any Ideas?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Administrator

No idea, I haven't needed an extra alarm system, my OEM works.
Then I do have an auxiliary back up

Who's a goood boy??

Most that have posted about aftermarket alarms have had issues
Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 PM

Seems a lot easier and cheaper to get a new fob, you can program yourself.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...key-fob-52337/

I got one from summit, they usually deliver really fast, from Sparks NV. One of these days, I'll actually open it up and program it. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-13737

If you have remote start, it may be this one, do your research
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...olet/model/hhr
Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Technical Moderator

You most likely ignored the part in the instructions about the 1.5K resistor in the door lock circuit.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...s-entry-59242/

As to the alarm part I suggest you contact the manufacturer.

I don't know why you wouldn't just buy a new fob.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You most likely ignored the part in the instructions about the 1.5K resistor in the door lock circuit.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...s-entry-59242/

As to the alarm part I suggest you contact the manufacturer.

I don't know why you wouldn't just buy a new fob.
Thank you for the link to that thread posting regarding the alarm installation. I went to an electronics supply store and bought the 1.5k resistor.......paid a WHOPPING 19 cents for it.........installed it , and the locks work like a charm.

I contacted Viper Alarm Company (though my alarm is a Black Widow alarm)......they said there is a module that GM sells for $150 which enables the locks to operate properly with aftermarket alarm systems.

I priced new key fobs with programmer.......would have cost $70 dollars......I already had the aftermarket alarm so I figured I'd save a few bucks............can't believe the 19 cent resistor enabled the locks to operate the same as GM's $150 module........cool.

Thanx again.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Technical Moderator

For reasons I cannot fathom you have to look incredibly deep to find the resistor in the directions, I have no idea why they don't include it. They do supply other optional bits.