Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry - Chevy HHR Network


Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-22-2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14
Red face Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry

Hi guys! It's me again. (This guy: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...program-59029/ )

So after hearing multiple times "It just won't program", I am taking matters into my own hands and installing an aftermarket RKE.

Now, I've got the wiring of the unit figured out. I need to find out what wires I need to hook into to simulate a press of the switch on the driver side door. From the wiring diagram I *think* I need to connect the lock to the white coming out of the door wiring harness and the unlock to the black/white.

Anyone have an idea?
Here's the wiring diagram for the door.
opensorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Technical Moderator
 
donbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-2009
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 12,668
Did you buy a RKE kit, there are many out there; Bulldog comes to mind. They come with direction.
When I installed one all I had to do was splice into one wire at the BCM and insert a resistor in another wire.

This site has directions posted on it.
Remote Car Starter & Keyless Entry Systems ? BulldogSecurity.com
Direct link to PDF
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/manua...0ManualLOW.pdf

It is not as simple as pretending to push the button.

On Ebay: Universal Car Remote Central Kit Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers E1 | eBay

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 08-12-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Fixed link to PDF
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Technical Moderator
 
donbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-2009
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 12,668
And it turned out, after I got the dealership to admit they were just stupid and they programmed the RCDLR, it worked along side.

It's a 1.5K resistor in the wire on pin#7 on the BCM X1 connector Wht/blk.
Here is more from Buldog:
Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry-rkebcm.png
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Moderator
 
RJ_RS_SS_350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-01-2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by opensorce View Post
Hi guys! It's me again. (This guy: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...program-59029/ )

So after hearing multiple times "It just won't program", I am taking matters into my own hands and installing an aftermarket RKE.

Now, I've got the wiring of the unit figured out. I need to find out what wires I need to hook into to simulate a press of the switch on the driver side door. From the wiring diagram I *think* I need to connect the lock to the white coming out of the door wiring harness and the unlock to the black/white
Doesn't seem right. My diagram in Haynes is a little different, but one thing that is the same, is that blk/wht is always grounded. So if you want that wire grounded, then you could hook to the blk/wht.

It seems more likely that you want the wires that go to the latches(or maybe the relays?), not the switches. But I have to admit, this system is difficult to understand.
RJ_RS_SS_350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Moderator
 
Oldblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-2011
Location: Welland,Ont Canada
Posts: 14,229
I found this product to replace OEM unit

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...ts/BWD/C02007/
Oldblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-22-2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrew View Post
Did you buy a RKE kit, there are many out there; Bulldog comes to mind. They come with direction.
When I installed one all I had to do was splice into one wire at the BCM and insert a resistor in another wire.

This site has directions posted on it.
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/manua... ManualLOW.pdf

It is not as simple as pretending to push the button.

On Ebay: Universal Car Remote Central Kit Keyless Entry System with Remote Controllers E1 | eBay
Yes, I've already bought the unit. I don't really want to get into the fuse panel because I keep hearing that on the HHR no RKE will work that way without a $70 security bypass module. So, like a lot of the folks who bought and successfully installed the unit on Amazon, I'm planning to just connect to the switch to simulate a press of the lock/unlock button of the driver side power lock switch.

Here's the unit I got:
Amazon Amazon
opensorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Technical Moderator
 
donbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-2009
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 12,668
It only looks complicated; it is only 1 wire: G to 1500Ohms is unlock and over 1500 ohm is lock on the ground wire.

Once again we are getting confused between distribution diagrams and wiring schematics.

I think 2006 is actually a wht wire. Note the resistor in the switch.

Installing aftermarket Remote Keyless Entry-doorlock.png

So you splice the lock wire from your control unit directly into the white wire and the unlock from the control unit to a 1.5K resistor to the same point.

No need to go into the door panel, the wires are right there at the BCM connector X1. Lots of room to hide the control unit.

IIRC in this bundle

Name:  bcm.PNG
Views: 43
Size:  654.6 KB
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-22-2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 View Post
Doesn't seem right. My diagram in Haynes is a little different, but one thing that is the same, is that blk/wht is always grounded. So if you want that wire grounded, then you could hook to the blk/wht.

It seems more likely that you want the wires that go to the latches(or maybe the relays?), not the switches. But I have to admit, this system is difficult to understand.
The diagram I posted is from Autozone so may or may not be correct.
opensorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-22-2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrew View Post
It only looks complicated; it is only 1 wire: G to 1500Ohms is unlock and over 1500 ohm is lock on the ground wire.

Once again we are getting confused between distribution diagrams and wiring schematics.

I think 2006 is actually a wht wire. Note the resistor in the switch.

Attachment 45418
So just that one wire? That does seem simple. Now to find a constant 12v hot, a good ground and that wire! :-P
opensorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-22-2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrew View Post
It only looks complicated; it is only 1 wire: G to 1500Ohms is unlock and over 1500 ohm is lock on the ground wire.

Once again we are getting confused between distribution diagrams and wiring schematics.

I think 2006 is actually a wht wire. Note the resistor in the switch.

Attachment 45418

So you splice the lock wire from your control unit directly into the white wire and the unlock from the control unit to a 1.5K resistor to the same point.

No need to go into the door panel, the wires are right there at the BCM connector X1. Lots of room to hide the control unit.

IIRC in this bundle

Attachment 45419
Not sure mine has a resistor. Might need to go with a different model...

BTW, a metric ton of thanks for all you folks' help!!
opensorce is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keyless entry how do you program them, ive got a new remote and an old to 2006 hhr Connie Huber General HHR 3 03-21-2017 01:21 PM
Keyless Entry Remote switching signals kodythekasper Problems/Service/Repairs 14 02-04-2015 04:43 PM
Keyless Entry Remote SlamminChevy12 Mods - Interior 5 09-18-2012 08:49 AM
keyless entry/remote start redrider Problems/Service/Repairs 9 04-07-2009 10:19 PM
Hello, and keyless entry issue vcalcaterra Problems/Service/Repairs 13 06-06-2007 12:02 PM


Tags
aftermarket rke

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Copyright © 2005 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.