General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Aftermarket remote start/auto headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Aftermarket remote start/auto headlamps

I have a 2011 LT. I have HIDs installed, so as you would imagine, it's really bright in front of the car when the lights are on.

Last week I had a Prestige Platinum APS-901C put in the HHR. Its just an aftermarket remote start. The installer was a friend of a friend.

Everything is great with the new remote start except for one condition: the auto headlamps. I live in a traditional subdivison. I tend to back the HHR into the driveway at night. If I trigger the remote start in the morning or evening, the headlights come on and stay on until I get in the car and use the stalk to turn them off. Until that time, I burn a hole into my neighbor's bedroom wall across the street with my headlamps.

The question is this: is there a way to wire the remote start to the car bypassing the auto lamps? I've already turned off the auto headlamps in the DIC, but the problem persists.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 PM

even with the auto lights off in the DIC? when you start your car normally when its dark out you have to manually turn the lights on and off? You could always use a relay to shut them off one way or another...I also install remote starts
Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 AM

I have installed a few but I am no expert. One that I have installed have mutable feeds to power up acc. feeds. Maybe one feed can be left out on remote start that would effect the head lamps?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM

only one accessory wire for HHR...I remote started my HHR this morning and my headlights don't come on...just the parking lights
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Beieve it or not....don't fuss with wiring and such, just give the e-brake a pull and the lights won't come on until you release it. Hope this helps
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM

That is why my lights don't turn on...I have a manual and the E brake is on
Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Even with the autoheadlamps disabled in the DIC, the headlights come on.

For giggles last week, I pulled the ebrake and left it up overnight. Still, the headlights came on.

I've also noticed that since the installer put the remote start in, there no flashing security light on the dash when I use the stock fob to lock the car.

I'm grasping at straws here, because I have no installation experience, but is it possible that the installer wired it up wrong/backwards?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Most of the after market things have to bypass of all the factory installed stuff. They have to disable or bypass the ant-theft and PASSKEY systems in order to work.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM

I have been installing these things for 10 years...all of your factory functions should operate normally...mine do
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ssmontecarlo82
Even with the autoheadlamps disabled in the DIC, the headlights come on. For giggles last week, I pulled the ebrake and left it up overnight. Still, the headlights came on. I've also noticed that since the installer put the remote start in, there no flashing security light on the dash when I use the stock fob to lock the car. I'm grasping at straws here, because I have no installation experience, but is it possible that the installer wired it up wrong/backwards? Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
What bypass did they use?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start/auto headlamps