General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anyone have the HHR Cargo Area Organizer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 AM

Question Anyone have the HHR Cargo Area Organizer?

I'm thinking about getting one but have a couple questions. I wonder if any members have them and if you could answer a couple (3) questions. If so, here's what I'm wondering.

Does it strap around the shelf or just strap to the tie downs?

Is it softsided?

If it is softsided, can it be folded up easily and will it stay folded?

We have a 100lb yellow lab and though I don't haul him often, I'll need to remove the organizer if I do. I would prefer to be able to fold it up and stash it in the car rather than haul it into my house each time. Same goes if I'm shopping and buy something large that will need the organizer to be out of the way.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 AM

If you take a look at the picture from Chevrolet.com, it appears that it straps down to the removeable cargo shelf. I would venture to guess it's a soft sided carrier, but if you're going to have it back there for storage, I would think you'd have stuff in it that would need to be moved when the dog is along for a ride or you purchase something large. However, if it's just there for things you pick up while you're out...it should all be good.

Picture from chevrolet.com

Name:  cargo_area.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  22.5 KB

Picture from ChevroletPartsPeople.com (looks flexible here)

Name:  19156950a.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  6.1 KB

You might also want to check out THIS thread for an alternative OEM GM cargo organizer.

Name:  image005.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  7.1 KB
Old 11-24-2007, 08:24 AM

Cargo Org

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10839

I didn't mention it in the original post, but the top bar which holds
the net, folds back to the rear/top of the rack. So, once folded
you only have the sides and the back resting against the back
of the front seats. Anyhoo, had mine for a few months and I'm
very happy with it. I can't beleive the price they want for the
'original' from GM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't care for the looks of the other one, though I'm sure it works great. I've got a birthday coming up and my folks want to spend around $100 on my gift so I was pondering this.

So, if any members have one please reply. Thanks!
Violet

P.S. Deb, we're practically neighbors! I live in NW Denver. I recognize all the locations in your photos
Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 PM

That would be a fine addition to your inside of your HHR!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 AM

I bougt one of these a couple of months ago, and ridiculous price aside, it's a pretty decent accessory. It's held down by a pair of adjustable staps that go through the front and rear cargo hold downs. You can position it anywhere fore and aft in the cago area that you like. The three internal dividers are held in place with snaps- use as many as you need, and the unused ones fold flat against the front of the carrier. The hold down straps have a quick release on them, which allows you to remove the unit easily. (there are handles on the sides). The tension on the hold down straps holds the thing open, so if you need to haul something large, you can just pop the two quick releases and fold the unit more or less flat without having to undo the belts from the hold down loops. The carrier seems to be nicely made and I think it looks good in the car (the embroidered HHR logo is particularly nice!), and best of all, your grocery bags won't go sliding around when you get to your favorite stretch of twisty road!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:48 AM

Oooops! After all that, I forgot to answer your question! Though the sides and back are soft and fold in to let the unit lay flat, the front and back panels are stiff and cannot be folded. The good news is that the thing is only about an inch or so thick when folded flat- you should be able to find somewhere to stash it!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:50 AM

Mine came with the HHR as a dealer add on--didn't really want it, but dealer eventually tossed it in no charge. I didn't think I would use it, but have to say it is a nice addition to the car and does help keep things organized like groceries, etc. Haven't had to fold it yet--but good to know I can!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Violet_HHR

P.S. Deb, we're practically neighbors! I live in NW Denver. I recognize all the locations in your photos
I live just north of the Lakeside Amusement Park off I-70 & Sheridan. Maybe we can hook up one of these days soon. Would love to meet fellow HHR owners in Colorado. Sent you a PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks mithril and afs9!! I think I'll go ahead and tell the 'rents that I do want that for my birthday. I've been trying to think of something that I wanted but that I wouldn't feel comfortable spending $100 on. I think this fits the bill perfectly. I really want it, but I couldn't justify spending that much on something that wasn't necessary to the vehicle.

Now I can blow my own money on necessary things like seat covers.

Deb, we live ridiculously close to each other...I'm PM you back!

Quick Reply: Anyone have the HHR Cargo Area Organizer?