General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 01:48 PM

automatic headlights

Is anyone haveing problems with there auto headlights comming on when it's a bright day about 3:30 or 3:48 pm .
Mine turn on for no reason but they wont go on if its overcast & they should go on, I have had the car in the shop twice so far the replaced the module but that didn't fix it . If anyone has this problem & fixed it please let me know.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:42 PM

If you`ve been to the same dealer twice, had a module replaced, still same condition, It`s time to go to another dealer...
Old 12-24-2006, 07:53 PM

Do you wipe any dash cleaner on the lens ?

what did you do before auto lights ?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:53 PM

So far mine have worked great, I am getting spoiled and wish my darned '92 Corsica work car had them...good luck with the problem...
Old 12-24-2006, 08:25 PM

No problems here in Denver. They go on and off like they are supposed to. I agree...it's time to see another dealer.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:28 PM

Well, someone besides me has the same thing going on, and I thought I was just imagining things. I have noticed mine don't go off til I've driven quit awhile in broad daylight, with sunshades on. Kind of hard to see the DIC and the Radio in this condition. I assumed, due to the service bulletin, this was the way the Lights worked on this. If you have had the module serviced and this is still going on, i am wondering if maybe the light sensitivity sensor is set for a much brighter light. The sensor is covered in a dark colored cover. I have noticed this and have just lived with it. The lights seem to work OK other than that. It is sort of inconvenient to not see the dash though. Let us know how this plays out, I'm thinking I have a problem, but due to the way the service bulletin is writen, figured this was just a waste of time to keep taking it back to the dealer. BTW it came on today at about 4:35 pm with a little cloudy condition. Cloudy out, but still daylight. Sunset is not until about 5:10 PM. Also the Lights didn't go off until about 8:45 am this morning and sunrise was 7:43am.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks for all your input I'll try another dealer & let you know what happens
Old 12-26-2006, 08:07 AM

The only "problem" I see is that mine come on sometimes when they may not be needed, but no problems with them going off when they should. I noticed that before I chanded radios I had the problem with the DIC going dim during the daytime if the lights turned on. Since I changed out the radios I have not seen this problem happen again.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 AM

I always seem to be fighting mine... They come on automatically in the morning (when the sun is already shining brightly), and I have to turn them off. Also, once they come on, it takes FOR EVER for them to go back off (during the day). I always wished my old car had them; now I wish I didn't have them.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:54 AM

I think that it's probably working as designed (notice I didn't say well-designed). During the daylight, the sensor establishes a "reference level" from the available sunlight. To prevent the lights from coming on and off, there is a delay built into the software that needs to see a darker level for at least a minimum set time before it will turn them on. At certain sun angles and times of the day, the black cover over part of the sensor will shade the sensor from direct sunlight and fool the system into thinking it got dark. The black cover is probably there to keep interior light from fooling the sensor. After a few minutes of "dark" the lights come on. Now the lights won't turn off until it sees a preprogrammed time of "bright" light. If the sensor keeps going from bright to dark (shaded) as you drive and make turns, then it doesn't meet the minimum "bright" time and just stays on. I've observed this on my HHR. I agree it's annoying to try and read a dim radio display during a sunny day.

Steve

Quick Reply: automatic headlights