General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:16 PM

I drove around all day yesterday with my headlights on. This was the first time it has happened to my HHR. I drove out of the garage around 11 in the morning and the sun was shining very brightly. I was expecting the lights to go off but they didn't. I thought nothing of it. Stopped at the mall and when I got back in to head over to another mall the lights again came on when I turned over the ignition. I thought that was strange. On four or five other stops the lights came on every time. They did not turn off at all yesterday while the car was on. I was driving into, perpendicular and against the direction of sunlight but it made no difference.

I don't know if it was a one day thing or a bigger problem becuase I haven't driven my car in daylght yet today. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 PM

well It's going to get checked again tomorrow I'll let you know what kind of story they tell me
Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Ford designed a great automatic headlight system in my Windstar. There was a switch on the bottom of the rearview mirror with a sensor that had full view of the current weather. You could push the lever all the way left to turn the automatic lights off or move it to the right for the longer you want to keep them on after turning off the engine. If it's raining but not dark enough to trigger the automatic lights, you can just turn the regular switch on. After 8 years, the system still works great!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Linepainter
Is anyone haveing problems with there auto headlights comming on when it's a bright day about 3:30 or 3:48 pm .
Mine turn on for no reason but they wont go on if its overcast & they should go on, I have had the car in the shop twice so far the replaced the module but that didn't fix it . If anyone has this problem & fixed it please let me know.
its really a GM problem. my 2005 Colorado that i traded to get the 2006 HHR(one of my better moves in life by the way....) had the same issue. it would be 330-400 in the afternoon, bright and sunny, and i would turn the key and the headlights would come on. they always came on when needed, so i never griped too much. i thought maybe it had to do with the light reflecting off the windshield making the sensor think it was darker than it really was. i never investigated because it wasnt that big a nuisance. just thought i would let you know you weren't the only one, and that it's not just HHR's.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:13 AM

I've noticed that with the shorter days it takes longer for mine to shut off when I leave the house (garage). I guessing it has something to do with the angle of the sun. When ever I start it up outside and the lights come on, I have noticed the sensor is not fully exposed to sunlight.

Just a though.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 AM

Thinking positive, It makes you more visible during the day when driving.