General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Brake up grades!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:33 PM

Brake up grades!

Im posting my experience with my 2011 LT2, HHR and front brake up grades I’ve made after two and a half years of ownership. First of all when it’s time to replace brake pads and or rotors also, consider using new (S.S. standard 11.650 dia. rotors) as opposed to the 10.850 dia. regular L.S., and L.T. models. Hint, the 11.650 dia. rotors are standard on mid-2000’s Malibu V6 models and many other GM cars. The brake caliper bracket are spaced different for the larger rotors so purchase the bracket from O’Reillys Auto Parts or any other part preferred source. Use can use your old calipers but bleed flush the brake fluid system. The rears brakes have self adjusters but most folks forget to back up in reverse and hint brakes a few times to proper adjust the brake shoes which should be done periodically. Best upgrade on my little ride for safety and eliminate brake fade and give a good peace of mind. Any questions welcomed.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:11 PM

What front brake pads did you use?
I like the standard OEM brakes for feel and they are quiet but they can have early fade....

Silverfox
Old 11-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Yup, that's a well known and worthwhile upgrade. A number of people have done that upgrade and I don't think a single one has been disappointed.

The rear brake adjusters however, are a known failure point, in that they often will not self-adjust. That is why we almost always recommend one manually adjust the rear brakes periodically.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
What front brake pads did you use?
I like the standard OEM brakes for feel and they are quiet but they can have early fade....

Silverfox
I used the best ceramic Advance auto parts, same original part number. I worked as a toolmaker/machinists at a GM assembly plant for thirty years and had many discussions with power train engineers. My thoughts on brakes is, it is better to have a little overkill on brake capabilities than the other way and not enough.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:11 AM

Smile Rear Brake adjusters

Originally Posted by whopper
Yup, that's a well known and worthwhile upgrade. A number of people have done that upgrade and I don't think a single one has been disappointed.

The rear brake adjusters however, are a known failure point, in that they often will not self-adjust. That is why we almost always recommend one manually adjust the rear brakes periodically.
I experienced that problem not long after I purchased my little ride. I went with aftermarket adjusters from NAPA.