General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Brand New Owner -- First Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:32 PM

Brand New Owner -- First Question

My wife and I just drove home our new HHR from the dealership. The mileage now reads 26 miles. I have not had a chance to read much on the forum but have my first owner question.

There is a fairly strong "burnt" smell obvious once we parked in our garage. It is not overheating and the emergency brake was definitely not on (but it is almost that kind of smell). Is this just new car pieces getting hot for the first time? Did anyone experience this? I tend to believe there is not an issue but thought those of you who have owned new HHR's might have an input for a newbie.
Thanks,
Tucsondivots
Old 03-16-2006, 08:49 PM

First off - WELCOME!!!

Sounds like the standard "new car burn-in" to me. I still get the burning smell sometimes pulling into the garage. It will go away as the metal parts get tempered. Mainly the exhaust flex-coupling mesh and related parts.

Enjoy your new HHR!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Deceased

i had a similar problem but i found out it was just the brakes pades on the rotors settling in.

was gone after that
Old 03-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

Welcome. I didn't have any weird smells when I purchased my HHR other than that god awful horrible new car smell.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:55 PM

Hello New Member. I'm glad you had your first HHR experience. Ask as many questions as you please.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 PM

Thanks everyone. We are very excited about our HHR. I will be catching up on previous posts for any tricks or things we have not discovered yet. Ours is a 2.4L, auto, dark silver metallic.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 PM

Yeah it sound like it's the usual new everything breaking in thing. It should get better with time. congrats on your new toy
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 PM

Well let me be the first person from Phoenix to welcome you to the forums and congrads on your HHR.
Everyone here is nice no matter what they say about Capt. But be warned it can get wild at time.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:24 PM

I had a similar issue, when we drove the car home, got out, it smelled like "POT"! I swear! It was so bad we had to go back in a few days, Hubby asked the sales guy if he had left or smoked "something" in the car, he laughed, of course, and said he was going to ask us the same question...we all laughed and then he said they come from Mexico...I told him if I get pulled over I was telling the cops to go verify that with him. Seriously it was THAT BAD! We would "almost" swear that some was transported in that car. But it went away a few days later....

CONGRADS ON THE HHR, you'll love it!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teknobunie
I had a similar issue, when we drove the car home, got out, it smelled like "POT"! I swear! It was so bad we had to go back in a few days, Hubby asked the sales guy if he had left or smoked "something" in the car, he laughed, of course, and said he was going to ask us the same question...we all laughed and then he said they come from Mexico...I told him if I get pulled over I was telling the cops to go verify that with him. Seriously it was THAT BAD! We would "almost" swear that some was transported in that car. But it went away a few days later....

CONGRADS ON THE HHR, you'll love it!
Maybe your HHR is really made of weed so they could smuggle it from Mexico into America. Like in the Cheech and Chong film Up In Smoke.

Quick Reply: Brand New Owner -- First Question