General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Broken Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Administrator

You're welcome,eh!! Where in the Great White North is your igloo??!
Old 08-07-2022, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Agree with "fireman"....

One maybe.....but 2, is a little hard to believe. Unless of course, you had some VERY radical suspension work done. Like to see photos also.

Anyway, I think you are a first. Don't believe anyone has posted about a busted/broken spring......let alone 2.

And donbrew mentioned about the replacement method. I wanted to add that I had a brake or fuel line (don't remember which it is) that was attached to the rear underbody....slightly right of center. That had to be released from the c-clip to prevent breakage BEFORE the axle is dropped after removing the shocks.

Here is mine that I just noticed. Rear passenger side spring coil. Bottom of the coil has snapped
I was hearing a knocking noise. Periodically when I was driving down the road. After looking around pretty thoroughly I noticed that my spring coil had broke
Old 08-07-2022, 08:51 PM

Thanks for this feed......

Originally Posted by AJochum
Took my '07 in for New York State inspection yesterday and got a call from the mechanic that both of my rear springs were broken. Has anyone else had this problem?
I don't haul anything heavy in the car. My HHR has 92,000 miles on it, so I went to the GM dealership and they said that the springs were not covered on the 100k powertrain warranty. I ordered new ones for $64 from RockAuto.
While I was at the dealership I scheduled an appointment as at around 25 mph the front tires are really noisy - sounds like wheel bearings again, which would be my 3rd set. I also have a clunking up front that they will check out. This part is covered under warranty.
By the way, my rotors are warped again. UGH.
Same thing happened to me with my 2006 HHR (but only one of my spring coils broke). The bottom of the spring coil just snapped on my rear passenger side.

Snapped at the bottom

Old 08-08-2022, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bradfo
Here is mine that I just noticed. Rear passenger side spring coil. Bottom of the coil has snapped
I was hearing a knocking noise. Periodically when I was driving down the road. After looking around pretty thoroughly I noticed that my spring coil had broke
Same thing happened to me with my 2006 HHR (but only one of my spring coils broke). The bottom of the spring coil just snapped on my rear passenger side.
With full awareness that this is a very old thread, these two recent comments validate that this is a real and fairly common issue, despite skepticism in (much) earlier comments. Also, as pointed out elsewhere, very easy to miss because the break seems to almost alway be way down on the bottom on the “pigtail” where it’s hard to see.

This seems to be so common that it suggests the design may have been less than perfect. Salt and time take their toll, but I wonder about the fatigue life of the pigtail part of this spring.

I’m dragging my feet dealing with this on our 2011 LS while I deliberate spring options; also need new shocks, already have new KYB’s on hand, need the lower spring seats.

Anyone replacing the springs, don’t miss that you need to remove the brake line brackets when you drop the axle to avoid damaging the brake lines. (Grateful for that tidbit in this thread and others.)
Old 08-08-2022, 07:41 AM

I jusy recognize that springs wear out and replace them as often as I replace the fronts. But, I am probably alone in replacing struts when they wear out. Most people and shops look for oil drips as a sign of shock absorber death. A. they are gas shocks and B. the throw is very short.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:59 AM

Steel is uncommon as metals go in that it has a “fatigue limit,” a stress below which the fatigue life becomes practically infinite. That stress varies with the alloy but in my opinion a properly designed automotive spring will theoretically have at least a near infinite fatigue life when used as intended.

Flaws in design and materials, and of course corrosion, can subvert that.

I have no problem with high-quality aftermarket springs from reputable makers, but would avoid replacing an OEM spring with a sketchy aftermarket one because, for reasons stated above, a new one might not last as long as the original. But of course, if one breaks you need to replace them in pairs because, who wants a springs with different properties (especially ride height) on opposite sides of the car?
Old 08-09-2022, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I jusy recognize that springs wear out and replace them as often as I replace the fronts. But, I am probably alone in replacing struts when they wear out. Most people and shops look for oil drips as a sign of shock absorber death. A. they are gas shocks and B. the throw is very short.
I do Chassis Warranty at DCX/FCA/Stellantis (not sure who owns us any more). You are so right. A mist is normal and totally OK. You need to really see a pretty good flow (more than a drip) before the shock seal is damaged. Otherwise, the tech is wrong in assuming the shock/strut has failed. Huge problem for me.

Your advice is still so rock solid. I have learned more about the Service side of our biz, and I find you are wiser every time I check in here. Hat off, Don.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
…A mist is normal and totally OK. You need to really see a pretty good flow (more than a drip) before the shock seal is damaged. Otherwise, the tech is wrong in assuming the shock/strut has failed…
Wait. What!? How long can they be enough fluid in a shock if it’s dripping? And a “pretty good flow”? That’s not going to last a day. I would have a serious problem with that story from a service department.

And what’s a “mist” from a shock?

I seem to recall reading a TSB from GM that defined seepage versus leakage. To paraphrase what I remember, that resource said that drips define a legitimate leak and moist with oil define seepage, and that seepage was not a defect but a leak is.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:52 AM

Just found the drivers side spring broke in about same spot on my 2011 ! Going to get both changed
Old 08-10-2022, 09:14 AM

Gas shocks do have some oil in them, but it is in the bottom. Old fashioned shocks had oil on both sides of the piston, so leakage meant "bad". Now, if there is leakage you are a couple 100,000 miles late. Techs are uninformed or lazy, they think it is still the 20th century. Partly because shock are more expensive than the old days, they think they are saving you money by not selling them when needed. Back in the day, every car that came into the tire shop "needs new shocks" and brake jobs included bearings, they were cheap and a good labor profit.
Manufacturers still say they last 50,000-100,000 miles. The "push and count rebounds" test is what counts, but that is different on HHR, too. They only have a couple inches travel, unlike old land yachts.

Quick Reply: Broken Rear Springs