General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Buying advice for a 2010/2011 HHR

Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM

And as far as the running boards i do not have them and my rear fender is still as good as new. Must depend on where you live and the road conditions.

And if they will let you call the previous owner that may prove extremely valuable. Never heard of that before.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM

In FL.

http://fountainautomall.com/Orlando-...-SUV/10054321/

http://www.everycarlisted.com/fl/sarasota/chevrolet/hhr
Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Got some nice prices in there.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Okay, it's been a while, but I'm back to looking. A couple weeks ago I checked out a 2008 LT2 (or is it 2LT? I keep seeing both) with 26k miles that was marked $15500 on "manager's special," but the lowest they came down to was around $14,800 before we came to am impasse. He was trying to sell me on NADA retail value and said KBB and Edmunds are only applicable on the east coast, and that they're based on what consumers think the cars are worth, rather than what the cars are actually worth. (To me, that last part seems like an argument in favor of using KBB and Edmunds!) No way was I going to pay that much for a 2008 when I know I can buy a 2011 for less, with plenty of factory warranty left.

Then things got really busy last week, so I'm finally getting back to car shopping.

It looks like prices have started falling just within the past couple days (new month, I guess?). My next prospect is a 2011 LT2 with about 30k miles. It was a rental car, and Edmunds estimates its trade-in value at a little over $13k and dealer retail around $16,500. A 2010 with the same specs is listed at $1500 less across the board, so since the 2013 models are already selling now, I would expect prices on 2011s to drop over the next few months. (In that time I might even be able to find a 2010 with low miles, which would be even cheaper.)

The dealer recently reduced it a few hundred bucks to $14k. How much do you suppose I could talk them down from that? Did any of you haggle much on your cars when you bought them? I've seen a lot of car-buying advice that says to offer 20% less than asking price, then if they don't take it, raise the offer to 10% less than asking price and hold firm there. Anyone else have another strategy that worked?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Nazgul 9

Check it against the blue book and see where its at in price... that will give you at least some idea if you have any wiggle room on price...:)

Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Nazgul 9

Then... go online and do a long range search.. like several 100 miles range of same year and same specked HHR's to see where that HHR stands in price...

Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 PM

Good luck with your search..

I'd second your decision to go for a 2LT with a moonroof. Prior to buying mine I drove a rental HHR which was just a 1LT, and the one thing I didn't like was the semi-claustrophobic feeling I got, with the very high beltline and thick A pillars. The moorroof with the shade pushed back helps that out greatly.

One other advantage you get with the 2LT is the sport-tuned suspension and 17" wheels, which really help with the handling.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Thanks Nazgul. This one is lower priced compared to most places. KBB prices it about the same as Edmunds. I guess my question is, is that generally considered an upper bound on what you should pay (suggesting the starting point would be lower) or should it be considered more the "right" price.

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak
Good luck with your search..

I'd second your decision to go for a 2LT with a moonroof. Prior to buying mine I drove a rental HHR which was just a 1LT, and the one thing I didn't like was the semi-claustrophobic feeling I got, with the very high beltline and thick A pillars. The moorroof with the shade pushed back helps that out greatly.

One other advantage you get with the 2LT is the sport-tuned suspension and 17" wheels, which really help with the handling.
Strangely, this particular one doesn't have the moonroof. It would be nice, but I'm not finding any in my price range and my wife's color that have the moonroof, so I guess it isn't a necessity. It does, of course, have the 2.4L engine and several of the minor cosmetic upgrades. I did make some offers on a couple with moonroofs, but those dealers politely turned me down and suggested maybe I'd be interested in looking at some of their other inventory.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Nazgul 9

You could see if the dealer will put a moonroof on the one you like... it NEVER hurts to haggle.... see what you can do and like I said see if you can get a moonroof out the the deal also :)

Old 08-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul 9
You could see if the dealer will put a moonroof on the one you like... it NEVER hurts to haggle.... see what you can do and like I said see if you can get a moonroof out the the deal also :)
Hate to disagree with you on this one, but DO NOT get an aftermarket moon roof. They are basically made 'one size fits all', and could be prone to leaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying advice for a 2010/2011 HHR