General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Can I change coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by papa_jo
I don't blame the original poster for not answering...………………..
OK I see you don't like the humor.
What is your suggestion to the OP even though the person hasn't responded ?
There might be people lurking looking to find an answer.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

I'd like to add a few comments to this discussion about the miracle benefits of Dex-cool.

Some say use dex-cool, otherwise your hoses will deteriorate - To that I say BS - if that was true, there sure would be a lot of vehicles sitting at the roadside. I've owned several vehicles of various manufacturers and NEVER had to replace a rad or heater hose on any of them (and I keep my vehicles 10 years typically, and sometimes much more than that).

Some say use dex-cool, as the green stuff is not friendly to aluminium heads and blocks - To that I also say BS - the green stuff contains anti-corrosion components and works just fine, in my aluminium engined vehicles and motorcycles for many years.

The same goes for head gaskets and water pumps, and heater cores which have also been pointed out as failure points due to the evils of the "green stuff". Some have even suggested that when someone is encountering a temperature problem with the cooling system that they change out the green stuff to dex-cool insinuating that the green stuff won't work properly to keep the engine cool - what?????

Come on people, dex-cool is not a miracle product - use it if you desire, but lets not exaggerate the situation.

Now I am not saying Dex-cool is not a good product - it works just fine - it lasts a good 5 years and is now commonly available. GM recommends it, so use it if desired in your HHR or GM vehicle. But using the "Green stuff" won't cause your HHR to fall apart, overheat etc. etc., and it too typically now lasts a good 5 years as well. Read the label, and change it as recommended.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Very good points and experience whopper. Guess I'll wait for the rebuttal posts that are sure to come.

Now. If I could just figure out why my "green stuff" filled , bought new, 1998 Dodge truck has the bypass hose rot and blow out every 5 years and the heater hose twice. I just change all the hoses every 5 years or when it blows one again. Yes, I'm using quality replacement hoses. Gates brand usually.
Wonder if I should try Dexcool in my truck ?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Hey there FMG - a good old 88 dodge truck!!!! - ya can't beat them to death with a stick typically. The 88 dodge Avenger, also bought new, I just sold a few months ago, still had the original rad and heater hoses, and original head gasket and water pump etc. etc.. that dang car just would not die. Even the original clutch - and I drove the carp out of it.

A lot of it depends on the luck of the draw I think.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Luck , perhaps, we can bench review these pros and cons of orange , green, red and I believe Subaru is blue!
Everybody , around the nation, use what you feel the most comfortable with.
after all it’s your wallet and pockets the money comes from.

In , your words Whopper, time to close this thread, the horse is dead!
Old 02-26-2019, 01:14 PM

Closing thread on coolant

I see that conversation was shut down. I think it can go on.
Here is what what I was going to post before it was locked out:

Hoses will become bad if there is air in the system (from the inside) or the compound of the rubber can't withstand engine heat (from the outside). Having a closed cap system helps with not having air in the system. I have a 83 Monte Carlo that came from the factory with this type and as long as the radiator cap is the proper one or even a little bit higher there is no problem, along with a recovery/expansion tank. Yes thru age I have replaced the hoses, but it's a maintenance thing, just like fan belts.
I have installed a TPI 350 in the Monte with aluminium heads and radiator. I'm using pink Caterpillar antifreeze. This pink stuff was used in over the road trucks because of the aluminium radiators. Cat now makes orange. The manual says not to mix. Flush system and install the orange. I will say when customers would add the orange to the green to top off their systems the coolant turned brown. Cat said it was silicant drop out. When I did drain those systems I did see residue and it wasn't rust. I used a magnet to see if I could pick up particles and there were none.
Here is something to read and maybe give your thoughts back on it:
https://www.thoughtco.com/antifreeze...r-green-262558
Old 02-26-2019, 01:39 PM

Why did we need 4 pages of comments AFTER the OP got really weird and did not return? Is it even possible that something has not been covered?

The OPs question was: is it safe to change the anti-freeze from red to green?

We really don't care what people are using; we do care about what the manufacturer has recommended. They have done actual science on the subject, not "my dad used Prestone for years and his radiators only clogged up once.

Use whatever you want, at your own risk. We will not be supporting it.

This one is closed too.