General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Carrying surfboards

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Theres no where to surf in Dothan! Just kidding.
How about a spacer to go between the board and the back crossrail? One just tall enough for the board to clear the antenna.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Theres no where to surf in Dothan! Just kidding.
How about a spacer to go between the board and the back crossrail? One just tall enough for the board to clear the antenna.
LOL! That's why I chose a 30MPG surfboard hauler ;-) PCB is my closest beach.

I had thought about that. Definitely putting some FCS hard rack pads or something similar on there and that may raise it enough... that will be my first trial.

I also am researching removing the Onstar antenna entirely... from what I've read, the sticker-upper wing antenna is the Onstar, the blobbish square below it is for XM. I don't mind losing Onstar. We shall see.

Here's a link for a removal tip, then just would have to find something decent to plug the hole. http://www.archivedsites.com/techlin...m-antenna.html
Old 06-22-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by DanielKent
Hi people,

Thought I'd put this in an existing thread. My 2LT has the factory roof-rails, and today, I got lucky and found the chrome-end factory crossbars at a local dealer and snagged 'em for the same price as is going around eBay lately.

Anyway, I need to be able to carry my 9'2" longboard! I've got a stubby antenna on the way for the big sticker-upper on the front, but that darn little XM/ConStar thing in the back... you guessed it, my board hits it, as in, lays on it and bends it over.

So far, I'm stumped. One of the main reasons I purchased an HHR was as a stylin' surfboard haulin' beach cruiser, and now... a little bummed.

Has anyone done this, solved it, or have any suggestions? Thanks!

I'll keep researching, if I figure anything out I'll post it here.
You have three choices

Get a shorter board.

Get a shorter antenna. They make shorter ones for both.

Or drill a hole in the board and pass it through. Unless you really plan to use it.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Get a shorter board.
I have 4 boards of varying sizes up to my 9'2". While my 6'8" fits well, I surf the Gulf of Mexico, and the Florida East Coast from Jax south to Cocoa. Most days if you don't bring a longboard, you're sitting on the beach.

Get a shorter antenna. They make shorter ones for both.
I have a stubby for the front antenna on the way, as is indicated in my first post. I haven't found any replacements for the rear; I've considered removing the OnStar piece entirely and just keeping the XM blob with a patched hole, as is indicated in one of my follow-up posts. Any links or companies you can refer me to that carry this OnStar/XM combination antenna that is considerably smaller than the stock one would be greatly appreciated.

Or drill a hole in the board and pass it through. Unless you really plan to use it.
Nice... while there may be people in this world who might attach a surfboard to an HHR because it looks "cool," I'm not one of them. I purchased the HHR partly because I thought it might be a groovy accessory to my surfboard collection. That, and because at least 5 aluminum 80 scuba tanks will fit in the rear cargo area without stacking them.

Enjoy your day and thanks so much for your considerate and helpful advice.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by DanielKent
I have 4 boards of varying sizes up to my 9'2". While my 6'8" fits well, I surf the Gulf of Mexico, and the Florida East Coast from Jax south to Cocoa. Most days if you don't bring a longboard, you're sitting on the beach.

I have a stubby for the front antenna on the way, as is indicated in my first post. I haven't found any replacements for the rear; I've considered removing the OnStar piece entirely and just keeping the XM blob with a patched hole, as is indicated in one of my follow-up posts. Any links or companies you can refer me to that carry this OnStar/XM combination antenna that is considerably smaller than the stock one would be greatly appreciated.

Nice... while there may be people in this world who might attach a surfboard to an HHR because it looks "cool," I'm not one of them. I purchased the HHR partly because I thought it might be a groovy accessory to my surfboard collection. That, and because at least 5 aluminum 80 scuba tanks will fit in the rear cargo area without stacking them.

Enjoy your day and thanks so much for your considerate and helpful advice.
Sorry I did not know how close to the coast you were. I have a neighbor with a Willys Panel with a board and as they say there is no surf in Cleveland. [outside major thunder storms]

If the rear is an issue look for the shark fin XM antenna. They are the same used on the BMW's etc. Many Terrain and Equinox guys are unsing them as they have issues with the rack or many garage doors since they sit so high. There is one place that sells them and if you tell them the color they will paint match it. It should clear a board. They have a threads on it on their web site.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?action=search2

Might work for your needs?

Sorry again on the hole idea as I am seldom see people who really surf with one on a car. It is nice to see the real deal for once.