General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

CB Installations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:54 PM

CB Installations?

Any members have CBs installed in their HHRs? I have a full size Cobra 148 GTL that I’d like to use, but cannot think of one decent place to put it. I use the cubby in the dash so I’d hate to jam that full of CB.

Any pics of your radio and antenna installs would be appreciated.

Also, where did you wire it to?

Thanks!

Adam
Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 PM
jx3

Some discussion here.........

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/cb-radio-antenna-location-30746/
Old 07-30-2010, 04:55 PM

I appreciate the link but that thread does not have nor ask for pictures of installations or info on wiring.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 AM

there is another discussion on here that also deals with ham radio, and it has pictures
Old 07-31-2010, 09:46 AM

OK, I’m sure there are other threads - I did a search and did not come up with anything to I created a new one.

I had to get creative with the searches because just typing “CB” in for the search won’t work as it is too few characters.

The link posted above does not have any info on where it was wired or where the CB was mounted in his rig.

If you have the link to the thread, please share it, I’d love to see it.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t mind if people posted here.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM

Is CB even usable anymore

I left CB years ago as soon as the illegals took over on clear nights and FCC moved on to regulating "moneymaker" frequencies. It was also useless for daytime communication because of all the skip shooters and their screaming eagle microphones made it hard just to talk to the guy down the street from you unless you both had base stations.

Better off using a cell phone if you've got good coverage in your area. or if you got to go free "wireless" use GMRS/FRS - although you're still range limited unless you drive up to the nearest peak

Anybody still use SSB?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 PM

I still use Single Sideband. I used to communicate with friends and other radio enthusiasts.

The problem over the last couple years is the solar cycle at it's ebb. There I'd an 11 year cycle that goes from excellent radio conditions to low useable periods. We should begin to slowly have better conditions.

I have a Cobra 148-GTL ST that I had hooked up in my old

car here in Seattle. I have used SSB to work stations in Totonto, and most states including a lonely soul out in the Alaskan Aelutian Island chain!!

I ealso find channels 17 / 19 second to none for traffic conditions as well as real time speedtrap reporting
Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 PM

bad thing about CB is everyone thinks they have to run a 1000 watts or more of power to talk across town, us hams know you can talk 1000's of miles with as few as 5 watts or even less. to each their own. one bad thing about CB radios is that they can be large, alot of ham radios these days have faceplates that can be seperated from the main unit which makes installs easier. I have mine mounted below the stereo head unit and the main unit mounted inside the dash below the steering wheel.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 PM

I’ve never ran illegal wattage - worked stations thousands of miles away on SSB on my stock Cobra in my car!