General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Center Stack Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Center Stack Noise

There is a rattle in the center of the lower dashboard (waterfall) above the shifter in both my 2007 and Cheryl's 2006. I can reproduce mine by moving my right knee against the center area. One shop said all GM cars of that era have the same center area and make the same noise and there is nothing they can do about it. Has anyone else fixed this?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 AM

If you find a fix. let me know too.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Going into shop in a week

The good dealer in this area will get a crack at fixing rattles, after the body shop redoes unsatisfactory work done by an independent shop here.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
There is a rattle in the center of the lower dashboard (waterfall) above the shifter in both my 2007 and Cheryl's 2006. I can reproduce mine by moving my right knee against the center area. One shop said all GM cars of that era have the same center area and make the same noise and there is nothing they can do about it. Has anyone else fixed this?
Don't believe nothing can be done about it. It may not be easy, and may involve some hours of labor, but all 'GM cars of that era' do not make that sound.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM

I found mine where the small tray in front of the shifter is clipped into the main console. As I squeezed this compartment with my fingers between the edge of the main console, the annoying sound ceased. This is the place that earlier models had the window switches. I used graphite lubricant in the seams and it quieted the rattle/squeak like a burped baby.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 PM

If you have ever removed that storage box on top of the dash, you might have seen little tabs of material. It's like felt or micro-suede or something. I am going to see if I can find something similar to install on mine....it's making noise in the exact same spot!!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:50 AM

same here. My fix was this : 1/4" wide foam tape backed weather strip. I removed the handle / coin tray / switches - then removed the top cap piece that finishes the console. I inspected where the contact is made with this piece and the mating surface. I lined that area with the weatherstrip. I spread the useless clips that hold all this plastic together and reinstalled everything. Immediatley solved that GODFORESAKEN creaking. I will eventually do the entire console this way.

Now it's on to removing the rear bumper cover and bolting down where clips are. Taking the clang out of even the smallest bumps. Im getting close. Then Im taking it to the dealer with all the documentation so they can see that YES IT CAN BE DONE AND FOR LITTLE OR NO COST. grrrrrrr at tech's these days.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Had center console noise in my 11. Following the service manual (Helms $150 or here free) remove the stack cover, shift console cover and the top storage area. All pieces that connect one to another put a piece of duct tape (as insulation not as taping together) Loosen the A/C bolts slightly and retighten then while applying slight downward pressure. The A/C and radio units will "chafe" againist each other. After putting smail pieces of the duct tape over every place two pieces of plastic touched I now have zero squeaks or rattles in the console area.