General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cgs Owners Assemble!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Cgs Owners Assemble!!!!!!!

ok for my birthday i want a ceramic cgs intake for my baby. But my dad tells me today that it's probably going to void the warranty. Is this true? I tried calling my local chevy dealer but there closed for the night. I need advice!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:42 PM

I would say YES, it can. It would really depend on your local service manager. For myself, I do not take any chance. So, when I do have to bring it in for service, I replace it with the stock intake. It only takes 10-15 minutes to do.

Some members have been able to bring it in as is, and not have any problems. Keep in account that they were bringing it in for other reasons so there was no reason to question. For example, if you bring it in for service for engine related problems, and they see the CGS intake on there, well, chances are you will be out of luck, as far as a warranty claim is concerned.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Founding Member

Here is the low-down on the warranty issues. I hope this helps!

Warranty & Magnuson Moss Warranty Act
Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 PM

I have no problem taking the cgs off before going to the shop, for me that would be a no brainer. But my rents arent going to like it. I guess if they wont get it for me then i'll have to ask for cash and get it myself.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 PM

What Sindy said above. Bottom Line: unless a manufacturer can PROVE that an aftermarket item was the SOLE CAUSE of a failure, they cannot void your warranty. That's the honest truth, and that is what Magnusson-Moss states.

EDIT: I've had HHR1 in to the GM shop several times with the CGS on - all the Service Manager ever said was "Wow! Cool!"

Good luck with your Dad!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:00 PM

uh, yeah, like what Sindy and Mike said is the law, I agree with them completely...but imagine, what a fight that would be. I, personally, would rather take the few minutes to remove it before bringing it in. I suppose this is the reason I have limited my mods at this point......
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM

What is the law and what you can get a dealer to do with-out a lawyer of they decide you violated the warranty is another thing altogether.

I found out the hard way with an issue with my radio that unless you are willing to hire a lawyer or go through a major hassle, the dealer can still screw you. Keep in mind, this is not ALL dealers or even MOST, just at least one that I had to deal with.

That being said, I don't take mine off when going in for service.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
That being said, I don't take mine off when going in for service.
Me either!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Our salesman was kind of disappointed that I wasn't sure whether I was going to put an intake on or not
Old 05-02-2007, 09:57 PM

When I took mine in for a knocking sound on the passenger side when on an incline it was the filter hitting the window washer bottle. There was no charge for the time looking it over and finding the problem.

Quick Reply: Cgs Owners Assemble!!!!!!!