General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Check Engine light on, remote start not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM

Check Engine light on, remote start not working

Is there any connection between the two? Awhile back, my gas cap was not on properly and it caused the check engine light to come on. Dealer says it caused an evap. code and can take a full drive to turn itself off.

I called the dealer on Friday and they said to give it a few days and it should go off. But it is still on today, but this morning my remote start would not work. I tried with both remotes, and at one point I tried while standing next to the car and as I was pressing the remote start button the CEL flashed?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Justin
Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Jdans431
Is there any connection between the two? Awhile back, my gas cap was not on properly and it caused the check engine light to come on. Dealer says it caused an evap. code and can take a full drive to turn itself off.
YES! As long as the CEL is on the remote will not start the car. If the CEL was caused by the gas cap, others have reported that it will turn off within 50 miles of driving after fixing the gas cap.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Just unhook the ground cable from your battery and the reset it. This should reset the check engine light.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 AM

tried the battery suggestion, no help. Light is still on. I have since put about 100 miles on since the light came on, so I doubt this is result of an evap code. This morning is colder than yesterday and as i tried the remote start again, I now heard what sounds like straining. I have no problems with a manual start. Called the dealer yesterday, and I am leaving it with them on thursday for the day. Just curious what is happening. this is really bugging me.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Founding Member

As JX3 stated, as long as the check engine light has a stored code the remote start will not work. Disconnecting the battery no longer clears codes on late model vehicles. Taking it to the dealer is your best bet to remedy the problem.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:07 PM

I have an appointment on thursday. I cant wait to find out what it is. I got concerned when I heard the straining noise when I tried the remote start today. it really sounds like on an older car when you cant get it to turn over during start up. I have no problems with starting with the key in ignition. We will see.
ChevyMGR do all codes that set off the check engine light stop the remote start?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Jdans431
ChevyMGR do all codes that set off the check engine light stop the remote start?
Yes.

And I believe any ABS/Traction Control codes may also render the remote start inop.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Yes.

And I believe any ABS/Traction Control codes may also render the remote start inop.

I have the ABS and T/C lights lighting up right now. It will still start remotely.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by jx3

I have the ABS and T/C lights lighting up right now. It will still start remotely.
Thats interesting that you can still remote start. I will be curious why it is on and you can still remote start.

According to my dealer, PCM had to be reprogrammed, that caused my cel and remote start to not work.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by jx3

Then I believed wrong. Check my new signature.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light on, remote start not working