General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Chevrolet HHR reliability - how does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 AM

We have updated results for the HHR to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 48

2007: 69

2006: 88

All are about average.

A big thanks, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Chevrolet HHR reliability comparisons
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by oneton
I know that the OEM tire's are not top of the line, I just can't seem to get the "horrible in snow" when I don't see anywhere on the tire that it states ALL weather or snow tire. Also "hydroplane very easily in rain" I live in central FL. and IT RAINS here often. It's call driving for the road & weather conditions...
I have to disagree with you. While the driver should drive accordingly, the tires are the only thing between you and the road. The stock tires on the HHR, and goodyear eagle LS, and uniroyal Tigerpaw all do a terrible job in bad weather. The BF goodrich Traction TA does a very good job in both bad weather, and good. I just found out how bad of a tire the stock firestones really are in a snow storm on wednsday. Just taking off from a dead stop they were terrible. I understand that all season tires are just that, and alot don't do any one thing perfectly, but some do better than others.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 AM

The tires are all-seasons, so should do okay in the snow. Some all-season tires do much better than others in rain and/or snow.

Updated survey results next month. As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

If you're not already signed up, details here:

Car reliability research
Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Tires, tires, tires...

As I've said elsewhere here, I went to Nokian WR's and never looked back. Ever seen winter in Saskatchewan? These tires have thus far seen lower than -40 Celsius, freezing rain, gravel roads and sheeting rain without even blinking. There have been more than a few times where our Avalanche wasn't available and the HHR had to deal with the harsh Saskatchewan winter but thankfully it was more than up to the challenge.

Oh and as for wear with what's really a softer tire? 30K of rough as hell roads and 80% left says a lot. If I get another 2 years out of these, they work out to be as cheap as any tire out there per kilometer without being just "any" tire.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 AM

180 HHR owners now signed up. As always, more remain needed, especially for the 2009 and 2010.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM

We have updated results for the HHR to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 82

2007: 75

2006: 82

Very narrow spread across years this time around, and all are about average.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Chevrolet HHR reliability comparisons
Old 04-25-2010, 10:51 AM

To provide an additional benefit, I recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May.

Car reliability research
Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM

I had signed up re my 2008 HHR model year. I have not had any problems with it to date, so I have not had any interaction with TD after registering my vehicle. I assume that this is the correct action to take (or non-action if this is the case).

I also understand that some only register when they do have a problem.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Sorry for the confusion, but this is not correct. A response is needed the first month and then at the end of each quarter even if you've had no repair.

Fewer than one in ten participants reports a repair in a given month.

Have you been receiving the emails for the survey? Please contact me either way, so we can get your car caught up:

http://www.truedelta.com/contact.php
Old 05-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Here's what's been done to my 2006 HHR LT in the last 2 weeks.

- machined rotors (again)
- machined drums (again)
- replaced front pads (again, lifetime warranty)
- sway bar end links (both)
- right side lower control arm, ball joint, and bushing replaced
- left side lower control arm bushing replaced
- right side axle seal replaced

Quick Reply: Chevrolet HHR reliability - how does it compare?