General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Chevy Marketing HHR Panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:41 AM

Chevy Marketing HHR Panel

Chevrolet enlists Detroit students to get new van noticed
March 31, 2007

BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Chevrolet's friendly little HHR retro wagon gets remade as a menacing death's head on wheels this week as the brand taps students from Detroit's College for Creative Studies to crank up its cool quotient.

Top Chevrolet and General Motors executives picked the nasty design, titled "Flaming Skull from Hell" drawn by CCS senior Jim McCammon, to scare kids and attract goths at the New York Auto Show next week.

"It's attitude," McCammon, a Livonia native, said. "Chevrolet is associated with rock and roll and a rebellious youth."

The skull was one of seven HHRs penned by CCS students in Greg Moy's integrated marketing class. Chevrolet sponsored the project. Moy's students, who started work Feb. 12, researched the target market of young people drawn to trendy cars like the Honda Element and Scion xB for about a month, then spent the last two weeks creating unique new looks for the HHR panel van Chevrolet will introduce at the show.

"I particularly like 'Skull from Hell,' which is terrific in its angry, post-apocalyptic detail," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said.

Lutz also praised Will Lee's "Graffiti" for its "clean, simple" design and Keriann Griffin's "Koi" for "its beautiful color combination" and "lovely traditional Japanese graphics."

Chevrolet planned to put only the winning design on an HHR, but the brand's executives were so smitten with the students' work that they now expect to use all seven designs to promote the new panel van.

Chevrolet developed the HHR panel van as a delivery vehicle for florists and salespeople, but some of the brand's executives think it will also attract trendsetting young buyers.

"The designs were right on our cool, funky aspirations for the HHR," Chevrolet general manager Ed Peper said. "We're trying to make our cars and small utilities more hip."

The executives who chose "Flaming Skull from Hell" to test that theory include Lutz, Peper and GM design chief Ed Welburn.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 AM

I want to see it all Finished, its going to be cool. I think I'm going to want one.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 AM

This brings yet another idea to mind !!!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:44 AM

Pics of the seven entries:
http://fyi.gmblogs.com/2007/03/stude...mized_hhr.html
Old 03-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Founding Member

I allready want one.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM

Sorry but they all look too much like Andy Warhol paintings to me. SoCals is so much better than any of them!
Old 03-31-2007, 06:30 PM

Alex Furchak's 'Cool Shoe'

Keriann Griffin's 'A Little Koi'

Liz Kerner's 'Light as a Feather'

Wil Lee's 'Graffiti'

Lauren Mack's 'Doodle Fun '

Jim McMammon's 'Skull from Hell'

Linus Parr's 'Essence of Music'
Old 04-01-2007, 08:06 AM

No paint a outdoor scene on the side as in deer by the stream, wandering the woods, ducks blasting into flight from the water, geese... You get where I am thinking but not the complete HHR. It would be a good thing for the rear side panels..

Better yet, A scene of Route 66 with a line of HHRs on it...

Now I can dig that for the panel..
Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 AM

You know, I can imagine a fleet of UPS HHRs running around town. Most of our businesses get small package deliveries. We also have vendors who fill mini mart shelves with potato chips, cookies, and other products. Even the post office could reduce costs by using the HHR over large trucks.

With the price of diesel these days, the HHR is a much better option!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:21 AM

"If they just had all wheel drive the usage could be endless"

Quick Reply: Chevy Marketing HHR Panel