General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

a common occurance of HHR buyers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 AM

a common occurance of HHR buyers

I have noticed in several replies that many of us actually brought home a HHR that was NOT the color we originally wanted.

why is that?

I've seen people write "I wanted cardinal red, but they didnt have it at the dealer, so I bought_________"

or

"when I got to the dealer, they had sold the Imperial Blue one. I saw the Black one and liked it too, but I really wanted the blue...but I bought the black instead, and I am happy with it."

My case is similar. I went to buy a Orange HHR. I had seen two DSM's up the street, but I wanted orange. But the orange one was a LS, with 2.2, no options, no running boards, filthy, some dings, and more pricey...lower mileage, but it didnt have what I wanted, so I passed. I went to see the two DSM's...and bought the 2LT...loaded...for less. It had more miles, but was less expensive, and had more ammo.

1st choice = orange, less miles, fewer options, poor condition
2nd choice = flawless DSM with all the goodies.

I went with door #2. who else went for door #2? and why?

I think part of it is because these cars are so nice, that many of us knew that we wanted a HHR, and hoped to find THE color combo...but if we couldnt, we would buy a different one...as long as we got one.

My GF Brenda would love to also have a HHR. She doesnt want a car payment...but if...IF she got a HHR...it would have to be a orange 2LT. A/T roof racks, chrome package, sport suspension, everything my 2LT has...but in orange. She would NOT settle for anything but.
I'd love to find her one. 2 HHR's at home would be so cool.

My other car is a Mark VIII. She has one, and I have one. I founded a club for people that have 2 Mark VIII's in one household, and called it Club 16.(2 x VIII).

I would do the same if I had 2 HHR's at home...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 AM

Yes and...

Some of us were looking for what was available at the end of the year so as to get a sweet deal. You know what I mean?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 AM

I didn't go with the intention to buy at all. Black however would never be my first choice just because of the time it takes to keep looking good. So why did I end up with Black? It was the only '07 they had on the lot at the time and I had............................................... ...............New Car Fever
Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Founding Member

I think mood affects color selections as well as the "I want it now factor".

I wanted it now but with specific options. I waited for exactly what I wanted by special ordering rather than settle for what was available. But I had time on my side so waiting wasn't a problem for me. Although waiting was torture, the total package was well worth the wait.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
It was the only '07 they had on the lot at the time and I had............................................... ...............New Car Fever

yes...and there is only 1 known cure for that.

I've made plenty of purchases under the influence of such fever. apparently, so have thousands and thousands of others...which is why they have a "no cooling off period" on sales contracts.

many people buy a car while under the spell...and when the fever breaks, they ask 'what have I done?"

as for last minute purchasing...well, let me put it this way...my salesman was late to his New Year's Eve party
Old 01-13-2008, 11:15 AM

I actually went with door #4!

I built and rebuilt my Imperial Blue LT2 for TWO years on the Chevy site. Even bought a new license plate frame to match it. Kept a print out of it on my fridge knowing it WAS going to be my next car.

As I said in the "how I ended up with an HHR" thread, my dealer looked high and low for an IB--the closest was an LT1. But he found 2nd choice, DSM (someone beat me to it) and 3rd choice, Red Metallic at other dealers--even made a preliminary order for an 08 in IB, but I kept going back to the loaded black LT2 on the lot.

Sister kept trying to say I'd regret it, etc., but she agreed it looked VERY nice...and it had EVERYTHING PLUS of the options I wanted on it, except it was black...

This story has been told...sure it is a PITA to keep clean, but I have NO REGRETS and LOVE my HHR.

And that frame looks good on my Blackie...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 AM

I shopped for a month and played two dealers against each other. But mind you, I had been wanting an HHR for THREE years (since I first saw one). So in reality, I did take my time. And, I test drove one for a week before I made up my mind for sure.

Peace,
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM

wow. I guess I am one of the few who didnt "plan ahead"

I liked the HHR as soon as they came out. But I wasnt in the market for a car...I knew they'd come down in price eventually(3-4 years)...I had no idea they would come down to what they did, partially because I thought they cost more when new.

when i stumbled upon one for sale completely on accident, I went on a search. No hurry...just browsing...I guess I got very lucky.

Had my DSM not been where it was, when it was, for the price it was, I would still be looking, or paying more for less of a car. I got the fever...but I was lucky that my cure was what I liked...

I search now, for my GF...and cannot find what we would buy...I cant even find MY car within 100 miles, for what I paid...

like I said...I got lucky.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:27 AM

My local dealer found me my Premiere Edition. I gave them a list of what I wanted. Outside color was not a huge thing for me as long as it had a dark interior and was fully loaded. I am an electrician and carry tools as well as get dirty every day so the lighter interiors would get trashed quickly. I like the Cappucino frost for its every day use as it looks clean but I feel that they could have done much better on a color choice as it is almost primer looking from a distance. But since I drive around 600-700 miles a week I dont spend much time out of my HHr and I love the interior.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 PM

It was an easy choice for me... BLACK!!! Almost every car I've owned has been black (when I had the choice).

Although orange was the second runner up.

I think people have a few colors they'd like to own... it's not like Ferrari where buying an off color (not red) can be a financial nail in your coffin.

Quick Reply: a common occurance of HHR buyers