General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Complete Exhaust systems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 10:16 AM

Complete Exhaust systems?

Where can I order a complete Manifold back plug n play exhaust system ( don't need manifold ) it should consist of the flex pipe, cat, all piping, muffler and tailpipe? Would love a solid welded system but a clamped one is also fine ( I can have welded ) seems most of where I look is buying a puzzle piece by piece? Not looking for anything expensive.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Gibson makes a great stainless cat back and ZZP has the stainless catted downpipe.... But, that may not fit your "Not looking for anything expensive." bit.

I can vouch for the quality of the system though...
Old 04-08-2020, 10:40 AM
Administrator

ZZP has cat and non cat downpipes
there are mandrill bent catted down pipes , single and dual cat in EBay, the single cat version woke up the 2.2 in Oldblue, the tubing is 2” and no crumpled bents smooths out the flow.

then the cat back that greybeard has mentioned Gibson is a good brand
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
ZZP has cat and non cat downpipes
there are mandrill bent catted down pipes , single and dual cat in EBay, the single cat version woke up the 2.2 in Oldblue, the tubing is 2” and no crumpled bents smooths out the flow.

then the cat back has mentioned Gibson is a good brand
I can see where the single cat would as there is less restriction of the exhaust gasses to pass through. the more back pressure the less power ( an engine is basically and air pump ) if it cant push it out, it cant take it in.
I know "cheap" is just a figure of speech.... just more towards that end of the scale is what I meant.... but sometimes we just have to bend a little and give in or maybe its the shiny gleam that attracts us to get it anyways LOL me, its under the car, no one will see it unless on a lift or rolled in a ditch so I aint worried about being pretty LOL
Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Administrator

My 2007 didn’t have the two cat down pipe from the factory, that started in 2008 for the 2.2.
some members gut the second cat to improve flow. So, if you’re not from California or New York , then get the single cat version.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
My 2007 didn’t have the two cat down pipe from the factory, that started in 2008 for the 2.2.
some members gut the second cat to improve flow. So, if you’re not from California or New York , then get the single cat version.
Here in Missouri, everyone likes to run cat free, but of course Im keeping mine legal and hopefully with a high flow cat?
Old 04-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Then ZZP single cat would be a good choice
Old 04-08-2020, 01:38 PM

No speed shops in Missouri? I would ask about muffler shops but, they don't "roll your own" much anymore.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:46 PM

I went with the ZZP and Gibson stainless system because I don't ever want do it again.... Welds are top notch, material is too, Uses all the original hanger locations, bends are excellent. Instead of the U-bolt clamps Gibson supplies, I would suggest those strap clamps that are available.

I went with Gibson on my truck too... Good stuff.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
No speed shops in Missouri? I would ask about muffler shops but, they don't "roll your own" much anymore.
Wise Speed shop folded up years ago, one of my favorite places to buy all my rodder stuff when I used to build street rods, another called Virginia Automotive bought out another shop and moved to that location due to more room to rebuild blocks and sadly they folded as well ( just a bad area to be ) as they had their windows knocked out and ransacked several times, There is still 1 custom muffler shop, and I never really liked them even back in the 80's but I did send a message to see what they can do for the HHR.... no reply yet so I assume they are still just as bad. The shop I loved, the guy worked alone, no other employees, I took my old 78 GMC JIMMY full size 4x4 there, he ran me duals from headers back including cats, mufflers and all pipes just shy of $350 in stainless, he made every piece on the bender, welded every seam, it was rock solid and lasted forever. Just cant find shops like that anymore, its just these little crackerjack places that fly by night, here today and gone tomorrow with a price tag youll need a second mortgage ! But still looking around for the best deal.

Quick Reply: Complete Exhaust systems?