Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Complete Exhaust systems? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/complete-exhaust-systems-63005/)

prod 04-08-2020 06:25 PM

I have had the ZZP longtube header with catted downpipe for a few years now. While the quality of the pipe and welds is great, the woven flex pipe they use is crap. Up here where roads are salted mine lasted 2 full years before it started to disintegrate.
It doesnt look easily replaceable either because of the otherwise solid construction, so I would have to buy it as one piece with the cat. Now that we dont require inspection in Ontario, I am considering going catless.
Where you are it probably wont be as bad, but something to be aware of.

Bonez 04-08-2020 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 890331)
I have had the ZZP longtube header with catted downpipe for a few years now. While the quality of the pipe and welds is great, the woven flex pipe they use is crap. Up here where roads are salted mine lasted 2 full years before it started to disintegrate.
It doesnt look easily replaceable either because of the otherwise solid construction, so I would have to buy it as one piece with the cat. Now that we dont require inspection in Ontario, I am considering going catless.
Where you are it probably wont be as bad, but something to be aware of.

Yeah Im in the Salt Belt, crazy Bi-Polar weather and all. The flex pipe seems to be good, they just said its been welded a few times ( I assume new pipes added as the old gets replaced? ) but a custom shop quoted me $1000 for a complete exhaust Flex pipe back and would probly be half that if the cat is still good, so I need to go have them look at it and see.

sleeper 04-08-2020 08:42 PM

Bonez- just know you would be replacing an aluminized stainless exhaust GM uses.

Greybeard999 04-08-2020 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 890342)
Bonez- just know you would be replacing an aluminized stainless exhaust GM uses.

My original was not stainless...

sleeper 04-08-2020 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999 (Post 890345)
My original was not stainless...

It is not a anti-magnetic aircraft grade stainless, but GM has been using "Aluminized Stainless" exhaust pipes since the 90's at least.

Bonez 04-08-2020 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 890342)

This thing is nothing but rust held together with welds lol its china steel I bet...

Oldblue 04-09-2020 11:36 AM

Not in the OEM exhaust, maybe in the replacement pipes.

donbrew 04-09-2020 12:11 PM

In my area I know of 2 one man shops with pipe bending equipment. You might try asking some parts delivery guys if they have seen such stuff. Around here there are 15-20 shops in the backyard that get parts from NAPA, this is a pretty small town.

Bonez 04-09-2020 01:05 PM

I should have gotten a picture of the underside while on the lift, Ill be back there soon to get the trans lines replaced, Ill snag one then,,, I don't think anything as far as the exhaust is original , lots of little 2" spacers welded in everywhere so I bet this thing was pieced together as stuff rusted out? maybe the flex pipe is original but as far as everything else, I think its a Frankenstein !