General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Crashed in December, Doing the repairs myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM

Crashed in December, Doing the repairs myself

Hey guys, I was just looking for advice on what I may need to watch out for doing this repair. I hit a curb sideways and broke my drivers side steering knuckle off at the suspension mount (no other visual damage) and bent the rear axle. I am in the process of getting used parts from junkyards, but I just want to know if there is anything in particular I need to watch out for while doing this work. Thanks! I know you all love the pics, so here is the link to what exactly I broke. http://imgur.com/a/Av6oc
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 AM

Nice curb hit. Should hopefully be a straight foward part swap. The only thing I would be worried about would be if the axle jammed hard into/inside the tranny. Make sure tranny seals & bearing are OK...

Good to see your OK from the accident.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

After an impact like that,EVERY piece of the suspension should be completely inspected. Also the hub bearings usually don't hold up well after a side impact.
After you finish your work, I would suggest a trip to a reputable body shop. Let them look at your work,take some body measurements,and inspect the car for anything you missed.
When you get to the point of getting it aligned(4 wheel alignment is a must)
don't be suprised if more bent parts show up.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Deceased

Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Seeing that the knuckle broke at the strut mount I would strongly urge a good look at the strut itself. It is most likely bent. Check the control arm as well and the steering rack and hub like Fire mentioned. Like said above check everything, but be very suspect of the strut and hub due to that break location.

Not sure if you have done this but go around your suspension and compare the distances between same parts on opposite side of the car. Basically find the same point on each side of the car and measure the gaps and compare. The cradle is very easy to move in accidents like this and if the cradle is not in a good spot then the car will have trouble being alinged. Also this can cause vibration issues if it puts strain on the motor/tranny mounts.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM

If you have never replaced the struts, hubs, axles, control arms on the front just do it now, check the tie rods & steering rack & pinion. In the rear, I'd replace the at least the hub. I don't know what people mean by a 4 wheel alignment on these cars, there is no adjustment that can be made to the rear wheels, if they mean a body/frame pull (which includes precise measurements of all the points) then an emphatic yes. The rear axle does require some precision work! Even though it theoretically just bolts on, check the Service Manual for details, it's not just that easy.

Doesn't show the Tranny side of the axle, is the stub missing, still in the tranny?

Hopefully you are using insurance money & pocketing the labor, that should be pretty good income!, If not, sorry for your loss.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 AM

Right now it is just a part swap. (Thanks to ebay!) Ive taken all the suspension pieces to body shops and luckily it looks like all the damage was to the knuckle and rear torsion suspension, and the strut didn't suffer in the impact. When I hit the curb, it pulled the inner CV joint apart, instead of pushing it into the transmission *phew*, however that inner axle bearing was pitted from something else so I replaced that whole assembly along with inspecting the other half of the bearing/seal. The bearings in the hub are fine with no play and nothing in the hub/spindle is bent or grinding. Ball joints, tie rods, rack and pinion and control arm are all straight and otherwise undamaged. Hub is being replaced along with the knuckle (bought a new one, figured I would just keep the old one as a spare). I am planning on getting a 4 wheel alignment as soon as I get the axle in and installed, as well as going to a frame and suspension specialty shop just to get everything the once-over before I start driving again. I got really lucky with this impact since I had the front wheels straight ahead and hit the side square on so the impact on the structure of the car was minimized, plus the snow prevented any body damage as well. Unfortunately, the insurance payed for the tow home, not any of the parts. I am doing my own labor of course (It gives me an excuse to buy new tools!) After I get this whole fiasco over with, Ill take it out for a nice drive around town and make sure it feels right. Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:25 AM

Would have been a good time to swap to the SS knuckle .. not sure what exactly was redesigned on it but believe quicker steering is part of it...
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy9800
When I hit the curb, it pulled the inner CV joint apart, instead of pushing it into the transmission *phew*, however that inner axle bearing was pitted from something else so I replaced that whole assembly along with inspecting the other half of the bearing/seal. !
FWIW Actually when you hit the curb you probably did SHOVE the axle in as the knuckle was SHOVED inward which snapped the knuckle at the strut mount. Once the knuckle was broke and the force of the impact was no longer there the knuckle then falls to the outside and PULLS the axle apart.

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Would have been a good time to swap to the SS knuckle .. not sure what exactly was redesigned on it but believe quicker steering is part of it...
I don't see how the knuckle could have anything to do with quicker steering???? The SS's use a different EPS motor then the LS and LT and is more then likely why they have quicker steering. The nuckle simply gets turned by the steering rack.

A unique electric power steering (EPS) system is tuned to match the SS's handling prowess. The rack-and-pinion gear has a quick 14.8:1 ratio, which is 20 percent quicker than other HHR models, and the new EPS provides improved precision and a more viscous feel. A smaller-diameter steering wheel enhances the quick, sporty steering capability.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 AM

Update on the repair. I had one of my friends from a local repair shop come by and take a good look at everything. I think I just got lucky with this one. The tranny is fine and from what he can tell, I didn't bend or break anything besides the knuckle and the rear axle. I have the front end finished now; back on the ground, and I the rear end is coming in a week. I ran the front end off the ground a little just to make sure everything was seated well and tight, and there isn't any pulsing in the brakes or unusual noises coming from anything right now. After I get it back on all 4 feet, I will have it inspected and aligned at the shop (driving slow of course) just to make sure I did all the work right. Also it looks like there are some slight adjustable qualities to the rear axle, but not a whole lot. My dad has the SS, and the knuckles are identical, aside from the way the big brembos on his car sit on them.

Quick Reply: Crashed in December, Doing the repairs myself