General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Cruise control confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 PM

Cruise control confusion

So today I decided I would install some of the parts I have been collecting for my HHR.
First on the list was the power mirror switch. Turns out the used one I got from the salvage yard wasn't much better than the old one and in the process of pulling the old one out the door-pull pocket (cup as GM calls it) disintegrated where the retaining screws go thru it.
Ok, no biggie on the switch since it was used and a new one isn't that expensive.
However GM has discontinued the cup for the 06-08 models and I have been unable to find a new one.
Guess I'll be going back to the salvage yards and hoping the ones I find aren't in as bad a shape as the one I have.

Move on to the next project, the Cruise Control Switch.
Ordered an AC Delco from the local parts store a few days ago and figure I can at least put it in.
Take it out of the box and notice that the button are shaped differently but I don't think a lot about it.
I get the old one out and decide to plug the new one up to check it before I bolt it in.
Immediately notice the new one does not light up like the old one. Tried to scroll thru the menu in the DIC and that did not work either.
Initial thought is that I have another defective switch, I do have that kind of luck after all.
Unplug the switch to check and make sure no terminals are damaged and notice that the terminals are not even in the same locations!
Now I'm wondering what the heck is going on, did they pull the wrong part off the shelf, or is it in the wrong box?
So I pull the part up on the internet and it shows it is the correct part for an 06. After looking at the picture it looks like it was not boxed wrong either. No one asked about any RPO codes or options when I ordered the switch and they do not list any different switches.
Place another call to local dealer parts department and give them the VIN and wouldn't you know it, leather wrapped steering wheels in 06 and 07 take a different switch!
Guess what else, it is DISCONTINUED!
The one I needed is a D1949F.
The only AC Delco the parts stores offer is a D1942F. The other brands they offer are a direct cross of the D1942F.
They don't even have a crossover listing for a D1949F and so far I have been unable to locate anyone that does.

This brings me to a question.
Why would they make 2 different switches that will physically interchange with each other, including the electrical connector? Are they just trying to mess with people and cause headaches? I can understand making the switch fit in the same hole but they should at least make it so the plug in will not fit.

The second and even bigger question is WTF do I do now?
Has anyone tried retrofitting the 1942 in place of the 1949 by moving the wires in the plug in?
My cruise still works but the on/off button does not want to lock on if it gets turned off and I'm worried that it will accidentally get turned off and I won't be able to get it back on again. Plus the paint has been rubbed off of most of the buttons and I would like some new ones to make it look better.

Now I'm wondering what else is not going to fit/work.

Last edited by HawK; 09-08-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: mirror switch, not window switch
Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Try GM part# 15842367.
Found at rockauto
Old 09-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Do you need the 5-pin or 6-pin design?
Old 09-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Administrator

EBay , https://www.ebay.ca/itm/352968420894

the GM part number 15842367 is discontinued

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-15842367.html
Old 09-08-2020, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Yes that P/N is discontinued but Rockauto has different P/N's that are compatable.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:36 PM

I think, you just need to match the color coded wires in the connectors.
IIRC they just changed the pin outs, same color wires in different positions.

However, was the switch really bad? Or, do you have a blown out CHMSL (third stop light) bulb or inexpertly installed LEDs in it?
Old 09-09-2020, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lonwane
Try GM part# 15842367.
Found at rockauto
That part is out of stock and is made wrong anyway.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Do you need the 5-pin or 6-pin design?
It is 5 pin but all of the pins are in a row with no spaces between the pins. All of the ones I have found with 5 pins have 1 pin, a space, 3 pins, a space, then 1 more pin.
The buttons on my switch are also completely flat so they sit flush with the steering wheel.

5 pins, all in a row.

Last edited by HawK; 09-09-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lonwane
Yes that P/N is discontinued but Rockauto has different P/N's that are compatable.
I checked rock also and none of them are like mine. They also had no interchange listing for the D1949F.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I did find one on fleabay and I may have to go with it but am a bit leery of since they are estimating a month on shipping to get it from a place that is not that far from me.

Quick Reply: Cruise control confusion