General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dealer extended warranties ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Dealer extended warranties ??

Anyone know if adding an extended warranty on a HHR is worth the money ??

I'm looking at an 08 HHR LT w/44K would like some bumper to bumper warranty...
But only if it's worth the price...

Appreciate any input about this..
Old 08-08-2009, 11:20 PM

I've always felt that an extended warranty is kind of like car insurance. You spend just as much money on it as you would have saved if you needed it. But that's just my opinion. Some people like paying to have the peace of mind knowing they're covered if something comes up. It's more on how comfortable you are with the car, and if you'd be able to afford to fix anything. Typically though on a car that new, nothing major would go wrong. Not to say it can't, but it usually wouldn't, or would have shown major signs by now.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:38 AM

Warranties have to be monitored very carefully. IE Be sure to keep up with the required maintenance and keep documentation of same. Blew engine on 2008 Mazda speed 3. Dealer checked maintenance records plus car's computer to ascertain if I had overrevved engine. New engine replacement would have cost me $14000 plus labor. Vehicle had approximately 8500 miles on it at time of engine destruct. IE: put a rod through the block.Dealer replaced engine under warranty. Also blew engine on new Ford Thunderbird v/6 with 32000 miles. Dealer again checked maintenance records. Replaced with rebuilt engine with parts coming from various places in US. Took 90 days for vehicle to be returned. Final thoughts. With extended warranties Dealer is betting your warranty premuim will be more than his repair costs and he will be able to make a profit. Also if you sell vehicle and cancel said warranty be prepared to take a big hit on your refund plus an extended time to get your money back.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:03 AM

A LT 2008 with 48,000 miles is pretty high mileage. If you do decide...make sure it as a GM Factiry OEM warranty (if available with that mileage) as there are too many horror stories about NON OEM warranties ( U.S. Fidelity, Warranty Gold, etc., etc. ) If you belong to AAA they sell one (but again, I do not know if you are eligible). I have heard that some of the insurance companies sell them to you along with your regular auto insurance???
Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 AM

I bought a GM one with my 06. It had 55000km on it and I got 80000 bumper to bumper includeing towing and even tire damage for what I thought was a reasonable price. With my luck though I either pay the warranty cost and not need it or not buy the warranty and spend twice as much in repairs. LOL
Old 08-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Extended warrenty is a gamble and the seller has the odds on his side. Any time I gotten extended warrenty, anything that "broke" wasn't covered.

The adds on TV give you the impression that you won't pay anything for the covered repair, but never tell you how much the insurance premiums will cost.

I get junk mail advertising full coverage for appliances, heat/ac systems for my house. For the cost of the premium, I can buy a new fridge, washer, drier or stove.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Well the Chevy dealer has extended warranty plans..

Haven't looked into them as yet.. But thought this would be the place to ask first..
Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 PM

The extended warranty my wife bought with her '04 Mazda 3 saved us about $600 a month or so ago when her fuel pump and tank needed replacing.

P.S. I thought this ad was a little ironic seeing the point of this thread.
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by txbass06
The extended warranty my wife bought with her '04 Mazda 3 saved us about $600 a month or so ago when her fuel pump and tank needed replacing.

My question is how much did you pay for the warrenty? If it was more then $600 then it did not save you that money. Will save you money only on the amount that exceeds the cost of the warrenty while it is active.

I had the extended warrenty w/ my SS, but cancelled it w/ in the 30 days for the full refund. My extended was through my loan company and I got 2,170 back. I read how they covered it and it would have been a pain and the possiblity of waiting a few days to start work on the car, and w/ not knowing if my mechanic was "approved"; well not worth it to me. I figured w/ that and the amount I would have paid in intrest, since it was rolled in w/ my loan, I would be better off risking it.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Her wound up to be a little less than $1800 for the extended warranty. She had it financed for 6 years so it added around $25 to her monthly payment

Quick Reply: Dealer extended warranties ??