General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Did you buy the extended service contract?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 AM

I originally bought a 5yr / 100,000 warranty at the dealer but I ended up canceling that plan for credit and buying the GM Protection Plan. http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/ I was able to get the GM plan with the same 5yr / 100,000 mile coverage and a $0 deductible instead of the $100 on the third party plan. As a bonus the GMPP warranty added to the 10,500 miles I already had on the car when I signed up making it a 5yr 110,500 warranty! Both were about $1800 after taxes and such
Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 AM

Like dbfruth said, I had read somewhere where you're better off without aftermarket undercoating these days. The steel is rustproofed (or so they say) as the car is being built.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM

Cool thanks for saving me some money and great link on the undercoating.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM

No I did not
It would be like Giving my Money away. I have had my HHr for 17 months and 1 week and I have put on 50.313 miles as of today. My factory warranty was up after 10 months. I will just have to takes my chances after all Chevrolet informed me that they HHr is a well made car. I guess so far I am lucky.

Rudy (Z-Man) aka LLB
Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 AM

On my previous car I also bought the GMPP extended warranty. Did I get my money's worth? I think so.

About a month before we got rid of it, it was discovered that the oil pan gasket was leaking. It was a $550 repair and was covered by the extended warranty. If I didn't have the warranty it would have been a $550 bill that I didn't have the funds to cover.

I got a pro-rated amount back on the unused portion that I put towards the HHR.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Man
No I did not
It would be like Giving my Money away. I have had my HHr for 17 months and 1 week and I have put on 50.313 miles as of today. My factory warranty was up after 10 months. I will just have to takes my chances after all Chevrolet informed me that they HHr is a well made car. I guess so far I am lucky.

Rudy (Z-Man) aka LLB
Chevrolet informed you (personally?) that the HHR is a well made car...?
I`m gonna go out on a limb here, but can anyone actually expect any auto mfg. to tell people that their car is not well made??? Personally or otherwise?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Chevrolet informed you (personally?) that the HHR is a well made car...?
I`m gonna go out on a limb here, but can anyone actually expect any auto mfg. to tell people that their car is not well made??? Personally or otherwise?

B/B Don't start
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/mid-central-31/cut-out-fights-section-6442/
Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Man
No I did not

Rudy (Z-Man) aka LLB
I agree...I personally feel that if you buy a car that is of good quality,then the expense would be unnecessary and the money would be better spent on aftermarket mods.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 PM

A Service Contract is like an insurance. Sometimes you never know what's going to happen.

Most people only keep their cars for 2-3 years, that's why the bumper-to-bumper is only 3 years or 36,000 miles. Why pay more for a car with a longer warranty when you don't keep it that long. (It's a fact that the manufacture absorbs the cost of longer warranties into the price of the car). For those of us that keep the cars longer, we'll pay for the service contract to be certain that it's not going to cost us lots of money things go south. Service contracts don't only apply to cars, they also apply to many other things we buy. Have you ever been offered a service contract at Best Buys? TVs, toasters, washers, computers, etc.

I have many friends that drive trucks and I recommend they get the service contract. Truck driver's in general drive their vehicles much harder than people who drive sedans and small cars.

Ever wonder why American trucks get such a bad rap about breaking down? Because they're trucks, and they are driven like trucks. If you take a Camry and drive it like a truck, I'm sure the reputation of reliability will lessen.

My point. If you're nice and gentle with your car, it will last a very long time, regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:54 PM

BTW...you can cancel a service contract at any time and get a refund. It's usually pro-rated less the administration fee. Fees will be noted in your contract.

Quick Reply: Did you buy the extended service contract?